1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EB3 vintage rewind in the UK

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by linea, Apr 18, 2005.

1. linea

linea

Mar 3, 2005
    Hiya-
    my '63 EB3's neck pickup is in dire need of a rewind (using original spec materials ideally) - I'm obviously quite protective of my baby though so would like to see if there's anyone who can recommend one or other of the various people in the UK offering rewinding services as particularly suitable for this delicate task.

cheers,

n

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Wizard Pickups and Bare Knuckle Pickups are both UK firms that offer rewinding services. You would find info on both of them with a google.

3. linea

linea

Mar 3, 2005
    cheers for that

I'd found both of those firms with the aforementioned google before I posted-

really I'm looking for some kind of confirmation that they (or someone else) is actually capable of doing this kind of work to original spec (for example using original spec wire etc), as the pickup's over 40 years old and if it gets bust, it's bust forever.

n

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Give them a call and see what they say? :)

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Jim Cairnes in Redcare - Chris Rea's "tech" and his own luthier/pup maker. Have a set of his pups - Toastie! Phone: 01642 271377

Bet you didn't expect that info to come out of Charlotte, North Carolina.

Ain't the internet great!

6. linea

linea

Mar 3, 2005
    cheers- I'll check him out!

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    There's no doubt he's competent. Stewart Ward of Award-Session rates Cairns pickups as amongst the very, *VERY* best available.

I've had approaching 100 sets of pups - Lane Poor to you name it, and the set of Cairnes I have rank in the top 5 easy.

The only question is whether he'd do it and how long you'd have to wait. I'm guessing he'd love to go through a vintage American pup.

And maybe you can return the favor. I'd like an email and mailing address for Cairnes. So if you contact him, PLEASE get that info and forward it to me.

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You might also want to check in with Hugh Manson at Manson Guitars. While he probably won't be able to do the rewind for you, he could either give you some names of credible people to deal with or confirm the names that have already been mentioned as good sources for your rewind. ;)

9. linea

linea

Mar 3, 2005
    cheers guys

I've got some phoning to do I see...

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Did you ever get the pup wound or contact Cairnes?