1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EB3 with DiMarzio Super Distortion?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brainthmpngfast, May 2, 2018.

1. brainthmpngfast

brainthmpngfast

Mar 5, 2018
    Oregon
    Did a search and couldn't find anything. It's hard to believe, has noone put a super distortion humbucker in the bridge position of an EB3?
    There's a "lawsuit" EB3 on my local craigslist. Realistically, I don't have any money to spare on frivalous expenses, but the idea of what it might sound like is really tickling my brain.
    If anyone has done this. I'd love to hear.

PawleeP likes this.
  2. I have not done that, exactly, but I have used a few “guitar” pickups in basses and they have worked and sounded just fine.

3. brainthmpngfast

brainthmpngfast

Mar 5, 2018
    Oregon
    Nice! I figured it'd work. What would you say the super distortion does to the EB3 sound?

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I’m going to be building one soon using a Model One and a pair of D-Activator X.

Three pickups, no waiting!

5. Like I said, didn’t do that combination. I have used a couple of EMG selects and a “rail” type single coil, usually in a mid’ish position. It might have sounded more twangy but I never had a “bass” pickup in any of those instruments so I can’t say.

I do, however, have an Epi EB3 with a Dimarzio Model1 and the stock bridge pickup where I wired a passive distortion on the bridge pickup only so there is always the neck pickup clean even when I turn the distortion on in the bridge. I like how that sounds for some styles.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. brainthmpngfast

brainthmpngfast

Mar 5, 2018
    Oregon
    For some reason I read it as "I have done that exactly." So would you say it puts out a clean and distorted tone simultaneously?

7. brainthmpngfast

brainthmpngfast

Mar 5, 2018
    Oregon
    Nice! Make a thread with some soundclips when you do!

ctmullins likes this.
  8. My setup on the EB3 has that annoying buzz and the big, fluffy model 1 sound together. Works well for some stuff and I can shut it off if I want to.

Also, the standard EB3 bridge pickup is more minihumbucker size so you may have to route to install a full size humbucker.

9. brainthmpngfast

brainthmpngfast

Mar 5, 2018
    Oregon
    Interesting. Maybe I'll make it a project in the future.

10. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    Genesis P Orridge used a guitar pickup in the neck position of an EB copy back in the 70s. It was probably a super distortion

gfen likes this.