Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PIZZAcato, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Hey everyone I've been on the DB side of this forum for a while but never on this side! Anyway I play alot of jazz and have played crap-loads of electrics but still do not own one!
    Anyway, what I'm trying to do is buy a good bass from ebay for jazz but I don't really know what is a good bet to buy or what is crap. If anyone could give me some pointers it would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Mike

P.S. Also I kind of need a versatile one cause I play alot of prog rock too!

2. Now I'm not an expert, but my advice would be to look at a Geddy Lee jazz bass. I've only heard good things about it, and the neck is heavenly. A new one costs around $700, so shop around.

P.S. Welcome to the cool side of the forums

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Eh, I dunno if I'd wanna use a Geddy for jazz. Plus, the smaller neck on it might not be that great for somebody accustomed to playing upright.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't know your budget, but I'd suggest a Lakland Skyline or Sadowsky Metro.

5. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    As far as prog goes, Rickenbacker and Fender are probably the best. What kind of prog do you play?

6. All depends what you mean by "Good bass on ebay." 4 strings, 5 string, 6 string? If you're an uprighter, are you looking for fretted or fretless? There are tons of Ibanez basses out there - all with narrow string spacing. A Fender Jazz or Lakland may indeed be what your looking for in a 4 or 5 configuration, but styling may not be of your choosing. Check out the Bass Guitar for sale forum here - seems like there'd be some great choices, and chances are you're not going to get scammed.

Good luck to you!

7. Good point, I guess I neglected that fact. Definitely fretted, I'll prolly file 'em down, or completely remove 'em later if I don't like 'em at all, but for now I wanna start out fretted. Mostly 4s 5s and 6s intrest me, but I was mostly leaning twoards 4s and 5s since I figure I can invest in 6s later if I dig.
    I don't really know what kind of prog... not too heavy but heavy enough. I play with two pianos a drumset and an occasional sax. Been borrowing my friends bass 'til now
    I've played electrics for about as long as upright just been borrowing alot and forever but skinny neck's aren't really a problem. And why wouldn't you use it for jazz?
    That doesn't really matter right now. I'm not afraid to beg borrow or steal ;)
    Thanx:) :bassist:

So basically I'm lookin' for Fender (Geddy Lee), Lakland, Sadowsky, Rickenbacker, and Ibanez. Anyone who owns any of these instruments please feel fry to put your 2 cents in, never can trust the manufactuers description for feedback. Sorry 'bout the long post.

-Mike

8. You DO know that a Geddy Lee is a Fender, right?

Anyway, I'd go with a RIC, but only because I like them so much. But I don't wanna suck you out of all your cash.