Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay 6 string Ric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sane, Apr 15, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    That just looks like a guitar that has been strung like a bass (strings are very close and tuners are small for a bass), but I guess he could be telling the truth.

2. My little novice head is thinking that maybe its a baratone? strings look a bit chunky though

3. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    No the 4005 was a bass but I've never seen a 6 string one, only 4.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Rickenbacker did make some 6-string 4005 basses, they're quite rare. They're essentially like a baritone guitar, tuned EADGBE like a guitar, but an octave down. The bid's at about $4300 now, I wouldn't be too surprised to see it climb up to $6000 or more.

5. "Rickenbacker introduced the hollow body 4-string 4005 and 6-string 4005-6 basses in the late 1960s. Several custom-ordered 8-string basses were also produced."

http://www.rickenbacker.com/us/mhistory.htm

Well they say they made 6 string basses, right time also. But considering the other crazzy things they said they made I'm some what unsure of whether it was a serious instrument.

"The so-called convertibles came equipped with a lever that changed a 12-string neck into a 6-string neck. The Model 331- commonly called the "Light Show Guitar" because of its frequency-modulated internally-lit body-reflected the psychedelic 1960s in both sound and substance. The flashing began when the player hit the strings: yellow for treble notes, red for mid-range, and blue for bass. (Rickenbacker also produced a kaleidoscopic light projector called the Phantasmagorian.) Other oddities included the Bantar ( 5-string banjo meets electric guitar) and Eddie Peabody's Banjoline (a 6-string with Ac'cent Vibrato that tuned like a 4-string tenor guitar). Rickenbacker introduced the hollow body 4-string 4005 and 6-string 4005-6 basses in the late 1960s. Several custom-ordered 8-string basses were also produced."

6. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound