1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ebay 6 string Ric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sane, Apr 15, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    That just looks like a guitar that has been strung like a bass (strings are very close and tuners are small for a bass), but I guess he could be telling the truth.

2. My little novice head is thinking that maybe its a baratone? strings look a bit chunky though

3. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    No the 4005 was a bass but I've never seen a 6 string one, only 4.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Rickenbacker did make some 6-string 4005 basses, they're quite rare. They're essentially like a baritone guitar, tuned EADGBE like a guitar, but an octave down. The bid's at about $4300 now, I wouldn't be too surprised to see it climb up to $6000 or more.

5. "Rickenbacker introduced the hollow body 4-string 4005 and 6-string 4005-6 basses in the late 1960s. Several custom-ordered 8-string basses were also produced."

http://www.rickenbacker.com/us/mhistory.htm

Well they say they made 6 string basses, right time also. But considering the other crazzy things they said they made I'm some what unsure of whether it was a serious instrument.

"The so-called convertibles came equipped with a lever that changed a 12-string neck into a 6-string neck. The Model 331- commonly called the "Light Show Guitar" because of its frequency-modulated internally-lit body-reflected the psychedelic 1960s in both sound and substance. The flashing began when the player hit the strings: yellow for treble notes, red for mid-range, and blue for bass. (Rickenbacker also produced a kaleidoscopic light projector called the Phantasmagorian.) Other oddities included the Bantar ( 5-string banjo meets electric guitar) and Eddie Peabody's Banjoline (a 6-string with Ac'cent Vibrato that tuned like a 4-string tenor guitar). Rickenbacker introduced the hollow body 4-string 4005 and 6-string 4005-6 basses in the late 1960s. Several custom-ordered 8-string basses were also produced."

6. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound