1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ebay "American Fender Standard" ... Be Careful ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tjh, Jul 23, 2012.

1. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
  2. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    considering what? :confused:

3. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    - - - Need the link please -

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

5. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Worst. Thread. Ever.

*Edit* Joke post was submitted before link was added.

6. Obviously!!! Huh?

7. fake

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    After a couple of my inquiries, he did remove the "Standard" from the body of his text that followed 'American', after I informed him that the American Standard had a STB ... he then replied it was because it was an American "Special" ... then he also removed the '2004', from the title after I mentioned the Specials have only been available since 2011 ...

this could actually be a decent playing bass, just beware and ask lots of questions ... it is a looker if the refin is good ... which he claims is original finish BTW ..first it was surf green, then when I suggested surf was not offered as a stock color for that model/era (2004), he then said it was 'seafoam' green ... kinda has all the answers, but that may be because he is a luthier, who 'makes his living building guitars' ... his words, not mine ...

I did inquire about the pup routing, and it is routed to accept the longer bridge pup, so the body is likely either Squier VM or post 2000 MIM Standard (if a Fender/Squier product) ...

9. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    Look at the lower bout . . . The horn looks a little "short"
    when you follow the line of the pickguard point.

Looks "fishy" to me. I wouldn't buy it when you consider
    all the really nice Jazz basses for sale on TB.

:bassist:

10. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    It's a parts bass / fake Fender. Might be one of those Mighty Mite bodies w/MM neck, water decal, regular bent bridge and pickguard. Electronics MIGHT be authentic Fender (from like a MIM or something) but who knows. I can see why he would try and sell it for... erm... $600. All those parts right there would be around the $400 mark - tuners, gig bag, and all. Love how he states the Rotosound 88's are $65 strings... search that on eBay and they pop up with multiple $30-35 listings down the first page. :scowl:

11. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    It could be a "Signature" body, I remember them as having seafoam green jazz basses. At least I think I remember.

12. Looks like a Standard, MIM, to me.. It has a MIM neck and MIM tuners, Seaform green was a fairly popular color available on MIM standards. Seller has a 100% rating. I don't think he would knowingly sell a fake. I would ask for the Serial Number before buying. It's probably worth $350 if MIM.
    Rocky

13. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Report that ish. :help:

14. I've never seen a seafoam standard and if that's a real Fender I'm Paul McCartney

15. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    look at the reflection on the bass side horn, even squiers have a better level sanding than that. Blockier but more consistent. The back is just as bad.

No way that's a real body, neck is not US made the heel shaping is wrong looks like MIM neck carve (blending of facets), no serial, no MADE IN USA decal. The knobs were never all chrome domes, the pickguard doesn't have the same contour to the treble side as the body (looks be after market as not to look scratched) and has the "strat" mistake.

Do not know on the colors available at the time. To the OP Warmoth does offer one piece necks btw, the kind with the skunk stripe.

16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    "Seller has a 100% rating. I don't think he would knowingly sell a fake. I would ask for the Serial Number before buying."

... his 100+ positive feedbacks, include FOUR AS A SELLER .. ONE of which is a musical instrument ... a $175 acoustic bass (with the same $65 strings)

The serial #'s he gave me that were supposedly off the 'original' neck were bogus ... prefix matched nothing I had ever seen ... there are no serial #'s on this neck ...

I spoke with Warmoth, they told me they sell no necks with skunk stripes ... will not fit their truss rods ...

.. the only remote chance of this neck USA would be early Highway 1 ... they also used these tuners, headstock adjust truss (vrtually MIM Standard neck) ... the only problem with that scenario, is why would somebody sand off a genuine Fender logo along with the Made in USA for the obviously bogus waterslide thats on there .. ??

.. as I mentioned earlier, this could be a decent little bass if put together well ... I just didnt want anyone on here thinking they were getting an '04 American Standard as he originally had it advertised until I called him on it ... for $300-350 it might be worth the gamble ... especially if somebody could get him to take off the pickguard to see the routing, and open the control cavity to see if the pots ... or even pull one of the Squier style knobs to see if it is a split or solid shaft under it ...

17. Faraday

Faraday

Jun 20, 2012
    Looks fishy, smells fishy, and could have a 100% rating selling to people who don't know a fish from a Fender and aren't unhappy if they don't know they've been conned. If they have.

18. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    "I have a iridescent gold American Fender Standard Jazz Bass also, will be shown in my Ebay store as soon as I put it together."

This last comment makes me think that it is a parts bass entirely. Not that anything is wrong with a parts bass, I have one as do many others, but representing it as a "Fender" is wrong.

19. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I've an excellent Squier/Fender/parts bass (that'll be possibly modded again soon) that's maybe one of my go to basses for quality installed parts (and surely doubling Vintage Modified street price per each part price) but then again: me too, I wouldn't sell it as an American "something" Fender. No honest

Cheers,
    Wallace