Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay amp selling/buying

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ripper75, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    Any advice on buying/selling amps on ebay. I have an SVT pro2 I am thinking of selling but it's so heavy, worried about shipping costs.

2. just explain that you'd prefere to have it picked up but you'll offer to ship, but it will likely cost a bomb - you should get a quote for shipping in the USA - remember to include the weight and cost of packaging!

as far as buying... look for sellers with awesome feedback, and well detailed descriptions - and don't be afraid to ASK before buying!

also, if you had 0 feedback, you should maybe try n buy one or two things (maybe a pack of strings or a cable) just to prove you are a worthy seller. if in the case you are a new ebayer, be as precise as possible - this will also put faith in prominent bidders :)

3. where are you?

i recently bought, well, a fair few months back, bought an SVT II, it is 80-85 lbs, and it was in a flight case, the guy didnt want to post it, but he just phoned up and a courier delivered it from down south in england to mid/north scotland and it was only £35 (converts to $60 US) ( 48 hour delivery )

check out with some couriers, UPS, FedEX all those swanky companies that are over most of the place

4. and yeah, microbass is spot on, most people are suspicious of people with little or no feedback on ebay, especially when buying something bigger

5. also should mention that you should search on TB about the main couriers - many horror stories (just as many good ones) with certain companies!
    and yes, shipping isnt usually as much as you'd expect! specially when YOU'RE not paying a penny :hyper:

6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I don't know where you are located, but the shipping companies provide an estimated shipping calculator. Weigh the amp, figure adding maybe 5 lbs of packing materials. Double box the amp for sure with adequate padding in both boxes. If you are 0 feedback seller you might consider an escrow account.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Post at least a few pics, and some showing the tubes. Talk about the condition of the tubes too. With an amp like that, you will get flooded with (possibly) hundreds of questions. There are probably TB'ers who might be interested.

8. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I've sold off some of my equipment that I wasn't needing any more and also bought some new stuff all on E-bay with great results. Personally I think putting up as many good pictures as you can and giving an accurate description of the item are the most important parts. Also, setting the reserve or starting bid price too high will hurt too. Do a little research and see what amps like yours are going for on E-Bay, yours will bring very close to that amount, probably within about 10% one way or the other on price or at least that's what I've seen...