Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay and Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGuitarNerd, Apr 19, 2005.

1. I was looking through Ebay becuase I was bored and found the amp that I want. It is half the price and has only been used for a year. The father bought it for his son but the kid switched over to electric guitar so it has been sitting in his room ever since. I have never bought a used anything before and was wondering if it is worth it. What do you guys and gals think about buying used amps through Ebay? how was your experience?

2. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    well, I just bought a 350x from eBay not too long ago, and I couldn't be happier. Just make sure the seller has a lot of positive feedback, and make sure that items sold in the past have been big ticket items.

if this is the first thing he has sold that was over a hundred bucks, I'd be a little skeptical, but if he does it all the time and has lots of good feedback, then go for it.

3. Definately just check for feedback, I'm usually skeptical if they have anything below 100, BUT thats not to say I wouldnt buy from someone who had less. Make sure they have "BUYER" feedback too, because if they've only bought things on ebay, and never sold, you dont know how reliable they will be in their shipping/packing process. If you have questions you can also ask the seller any questions. I've bought an Ashdown combo amp, my bass, my cabinet (810), and my bassballs pedal all on ebay. Had to pick up the cab due to its size, but all other experiences have been positive. As said before, pretty much the biggest factor in buying used online, is to make sure the seller is credible. I would NEVER buy from someone with no feedback.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've personally never had a problem. Just make sure that its a good seller with LOTS of ONLY positive feedback, do LOTS of communication as to packing needs and expectations, beware of all shipping and insurance charges before you commit, including noticing his location in comparison to yours.

Use your head, make sure he's using his head, and all will be fine . . . usually.

5. JoeB

JoeB

Dec 19, 1999
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I personally would be *really* careful not just about the sellers feedback but how this thing is going to sound.

If you can test the same model of amp at a local store great, but there's nothing like playing through an amp with *your* bass(es) in the flesh. You just don't know how it will sound if you don't hear it with your own ears.

Is the sweet deal of a good price gonna be all that great if the sound is uninspiring?

Sorry about throwing cold water, but just thought I would let you know how the idea comes across to me. If you're sure it's the amp for you, then go for it!

Cheers,
    Joe

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I bought an old Sunn amp off of ebay and it was a little rougher than I thought it was in the pictures and I had to take it into the shop for cleaning because it was just FILTHY.

I figured I would have to anyways but it would have been nicer if it was a little beter taken care of.