1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay and Best Offers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by iriegnome, Feb 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    What I really don't get is these listings that have "Make Offer" as an option, but the seller declines everything less than the asking price.. I mean really. I know this is kind of general, but I have made offers on say a neck plate. Asking price $2.25 or Make offer. Offered $2 and declined. Asking price of a bass I wanted $1250 offered $1200 declined.
    Come on now. It is getting so irritating on just a nit picky level. Usually used gear you want what you want. Most of the time, I know what I am hoping to pay and what I have to spend. Not always the same number either.
    For the love of too many basses, why do people do this.
    Oh not to mention the people who have a RARE Vintage 3 year old Fender Squire that are asking $1000..(Just an outrageous made up example)... The bass community is way different than that of the guitar world

tmw, spaz21387, swrbass5 and 3 others like this.
  2. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    It is to keep you from acting on a better deal while waiting for your offer to be accepted or denied.

JackANSI, gorneyg, ICM and 4 others like this.
  3. I remember declining a best offer....I should have taken it since nobody bought whatever I was selling at that time.

spaz21387 and bolophonic like this.
  4. T Bassman

T Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    I'm a big believer in 'a bird in hand....' As far as gear sales go, unless it's a complete lowball or I know a little patience will yield closer to my asking price. I've definitely learned my lesson as far as not taking decent offers in the past. Good to move things along when it's time and move onto the next purchase!

pudgychef likes this.
  5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Meh ... complaining that others don't do what you want them to is kind of juvenile isn't it? Oh ... wait ... this is TB ...

6. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    revised due to error:
    If I'm juggling more than one option on an item I intend to purchase and need to make the purchase on a given day to allow for shipping and delivery so it arrives by the time I need the item in my hands, and a seller sits on my offer for more than a couple of days I just move on to another seller. But I haven't had an offer refused yet. I have lost an item due to
    another buyer purchasing the item while I'm waiting for a response to my offer though.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Nev375 and organworthyplayer337 like this.
  7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    On my auctions, I will typically accept offers that are about 25% less than my BIN price.
    Actually, if the seller accepts your offer, you ARE required to purchase it!

Making a Best Offer

spaz21387, covermego, hintz and 5 others like this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Your irritation is your problem. The sellers you're complaining about can conduct their business how they please.

prue, hover, alembicguy and 3 others like this.
  9. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    oh yeah, that's right. where is my brain today?
    also meant to say 'more than a couple of days'

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  10. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    There"s a difference between an auction and "buy it now" with a best offer option on Ebay. If you're willing to accept an offer of 25% less than your BIN price, maybe your BIN price is too high to begin with. Just saying.
    Personally, I don't think I'll list anything else on Ebay, got tired of people offering me 30% less than my fair listing prices. I usually see what comparable items are selling for before I post. I'd rather sell here, and have had better success lately.

gorneyg and covermego like this.
  11. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Ebay might be the new Craigslist. And they do nothing to support the seller (who pays all the fees), everything is geared towards the buyer.

gorneyg, covermego and iriegnome like this.
  12. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well, I know that I much prefer dealing with our fellow TB'ers. I do use the Best offer on my items when I list. So you list, BIN Price, Lowest you will automatically accept (usually I put in a fair acceptable price) and then the low ball decline automatically. I can understand all 3 components of this process and understand that someone might think $2000 for a First Act is what theirs is worth, but you can still find people who are willing to sell for a bit more down to earth pricing. This whole concept of Low Balling is ridiculous. If I want to offer $30 for a Modulus, my right to. Also the sellers right to decline. In that case, no big concern.

covermego likes this.
  13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Possibly but I've had people bite on my BIN price and that makes me happy. If they want to make an best offer, I'll deal with that on a case by case basis.

I've never sold anything here but that's mostly because I sell stuff like old clothes or cell phones.

14. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I've had several listings where I used both the Make Offer & Buy It Now options, but buyers used BIN without even making a lower offer.

covermego, elgecko and iriegnome like this.
  15. I have seen "Make Offer" get auto-accepted. I guess that's a setting, if the offer is within a certain range, the offer is accepted by ebay without requiring a response from the seller.

Much like the auto-decline offer. There was a guitar that sat on ebay getting relisted week after week at the same BIN price. I made an offer $100 lower, and it was auto declined. The value of a used instrument is only what "the market" is willing to pay for it. After sitting there unsold for a month, obviously the seller was unwilling to accept this value. Strangely the seller was Sam Ash - a store that should know the value of faster turnover rates vs profit on a sale. Oh well.

But back to OP - yes, why would the seller put a "make offer" option if they won't accept anything less than BIN price? Odd.

I've seen it on high priced stuff too. The seller wants $3k. My friend offered $2,700. Seller replied with a counteroffer of $2,975. Uh... ???

16. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I'm glad I am not the only that see's this. It is kind of frustrating actually. I mean, if I do throw something low out, I expect it to be declined. I mean really I do. No harm in asking kind of thing. But if you only are willing to take your asking price, why add the Make Offer. Some have just seemed to loose common sense sometimes. I don't care if you are asking $3K for something. If I am willing to pay it, no problem. If not, I move on, but if you say Make Offer.. Oh I don't know. Maybe I need a beer and a vacation.

17. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    That is why I only buy things on eBay and sell things on Craigslist or other classifieds.

When I first started selling things on eBay in 1999-2000, it was very seller friendly. Now, it seems like too much of a hassle to be a seller on there.

gorneyg, Big Hoss and Planespotter like this.
  18. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Just keep offering the same price lol

47VevetS likes this.
  19. pisses me off too. once i make an offer for a 100 dollar item at 50, and they send 95 back, and then i make 75 and they send 95 back i just go buy from someone else.

20. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    I have a rule of thumb I stick to. One offer and one offer is made only. Usually a fair one to benefit both myself and the seller. Been doing this for years. Stopped long ago bidding on eBay items. If the Buy It Now price is to my liking then I pull the trigger!!