Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay and PayPal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by iriegnome, Nov 11, 2005.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Ok everyone, here is my story. I sold a bass on E-bay. $85. I gave the option to ship overseas for $40 or $100. The buyer chose the $40 option. The bass was lost in shipping. Paypal charged my account back for the total original amount and said "It was my responsibility to provide tracking, even if the buyer declined it". They just took $130 from me + my bass and I am left with a 3 month long claim to try to find my bass or get some of my money back from USPS. :mad:
    I only have one thing for PayPal and I am quickly comming to the E-bay conclusion as well. F**k THEM....

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    damn! that sucks..
    just be glad there wasn't more zeros involved .

sorry bro :(

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is why people don't want to ship overseas...:meh:

4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Insurance?

5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You aren't kidding. This joker in Italy gets aways with my bass and a refund and I get stuck with everything else.

6. did you get some kind of tracking number?

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    That sucks. I hope you succeed with your claim. It might happen to domestic transactions as well but it is probably easier to recoup a loss when dealing with US agencies/firms only.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I hate to break it to you, but it'll be three months before they ever START the claim if you are filling out form PS 2855. I was in a similar situation, but luckily with a known quantity outside of eBay.

The bass was shipped USPS Air Parcel Post since the buyer had used it for countless bass transactions from the US. Bass never showed up. It turned out that customs had been holding onto the bass for over a month, so I got lucky.

Bottom line--I have no problem shipping overseas, but I'll be damned if I use anything besides trackable UPS, FedEx, or DHL. Especially if Paypal is involved.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Yes the bass was insured, per the customers request. The buyer declined the way more expensive Insured/Tracking shipment, so PayPal says the burden of proof now is with me. Now with Christmas shipping Looming over us, it could be 6 months before anything happens. Yes, I did insure it, but NEVER AGAIN. PayPal can just attach withdraw or pull any and all funds from your account without you saying boo. Without any reasonable conversation and without your approval.

10. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have completed over 400 E-bay transactions and This is it. I do not think I can even reasonably use E-Bay any more.

11. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have the Insured Mail Number and the Customs Declairation Notice number.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That's kind of scary. I don't deal much with PayPal. When I do, it is only with people I trust 100%.

-Mike

13. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You bet it's scary. I have some friends that deal alot through PayPal and run about 10 auctions at a time. They do all of their auction money through PayPal and if one person complains about anything, without having any say or right to dispute, the yank the funds. PERIOD. No Questions at all and once they do that, you are done. As a seller you are skewered.

14. You have had personal experience of this Bruce ?

IME if you ask politely and can give checkable contact details it isn't usually a problem at least that has been my experience.

Or is this just more of your general down on Ebay et al ? :meh:

15. I feel for you, I really do. :crying:
    Personally I would never offer a non tracking shipping option especially on an overseas transaction.

I hope it all works out for you. :)

16. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I must apologize to all who are not in the continental US, but never again. I cannot afford to loose $200.

17. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

This really sucks. I have purchased and sold many basses to and from the US and beyond. In each case the basses were shipped with a tracking option. That way, no problem.

18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    The thing that really sucks is the fact that I have no way to tell if this clown got the bass or not. They could be sitting in Italy with my $130 and my Bass

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm sorry for your lost, especially during the holiday season but.....

.....I don't mean to sound like an ass but I would not ship to anyone if I didn't have some way to track it because I have read TOO many stories like this one. I don't think it's eBay's or PayPal's fault that you assumed that the buyer might not of been a scam artist or the package might not get lost.

20. Sorry, but im stuck on the other side of the coin right now (got an SKB shockmount case off ebay, was in "perfect condition", it arrived and it was battered to hell and the latches were screwed, one was even missing, yet it was obvious it hadnt been there before posting (there was tape over it all that hadnt been broken)

Now, i want my money back, im fine with returning it etc, however, the dude on the other end is having none of it, and paypal are making me run around and try and get invoives for repairs, which isnt going to happen because nobody will touch it, now, because of that, i have even told them why nobody could repair it, and they are still saying, unless i fax them an invoice for the repairs in 10 days (6 days now), then the case is closed in the sellers favour, how the F*CK is that fair, this guy will get away with selling completelly misadvertised gear, and paypal are going to do SWEET F*CK ALL ABOUT IT

Also, you are saying the guy in italy is sitting with your bass? how do you know, it more than likely is lost, and if something went missing in the post, i'd help to look for it, but at the end of the day, i dont fancy giving someone else money for nothing