Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eBay auction has taken a turn for the worse..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by patrickj, Oct 6, 2002.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I bid on and won a Fender 5 string Jazz.. the seller had good feedback, I got his name/address/#, so I sent my payment.

This was 9-23. About a week later I received an email explaining a delay in shipping, and it would be shipped out Tuesday 10-1. Not a problem..

The bass was supposed to be shipped from central NJ and it's coming to MD. That's at most a 2 day ground trip (used to work for UPS).

I've sent the seller an email everyday for the last 4-5 days, and I haven't gotten a response. Assuming it doesn't arrive tomorrow (monday), and I still haven't heard from the seller, what steps should I take? I paid by virtual Debit Card (PayPal) through Ebay's payment thing (billPay i think).

I do have the seller's # and address (legit). When is the time to start making a fuss?

I've used ebay almost since it's inception, and this is the very first time something like this has happened to me.

2. get his phone numer ( you have his name & adress ) and call him.

If he says he shipped it, ask him for the parcel-numer (sp?) and then look it up at ups.com or whatever courier he's using. the site will tell you exactly where the parcel is at that moment.

if the parcel isn't sent, contact Ebay with complaints.

if the parcel is sent, but still hasn't arrived, contact the courier with complaints.

And my tip is : keep a red-card ready to revoke your payment. i dunno if paypal has it.. i'm using VISA, and if i don't get what i paid for, i can get my money back without questions asked.

3. Patience. Sometimes things just get bogged down. But if it's not here by sometime next week, contact Paypal and have them revoke the payment. It's possible to do. I've done it to a number of, um, websites....

:Dj/k

Rock on
    Eric

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    You have his name and address, I say ROAD TRIP!! You, a few friends, and a Louisville Slugger might come back with a bass. And maybe even a police record!:D

5. I prefer Aluminum. Makes a cool ringing sound when it comes in contact with a human head.:D

Rock on
    Eric

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

Ya ever heard of cutting the top off of an alliminum bat and inserting raquet balls? Supposed to hit harder due to the shifting wight and kinetic energy of the balls. Not that I've tried...

7. Ah yes.. the good old days of black suits with army-boots and ninja-masks.. gotta love it :p

and remember to put a phone-book between his head and the baseball bat..

because broozes = evidence = jail = :(
    phonebook = * THUMP * YEARGH!! , but no broozes ;)

bwuahahah :D

8. Why raquet balls? I wold think lead or rocks or something heavy.

Rock on
    Eric

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I have no idea. Thats just what I've heard.

10. You can't beat a pool/billiard/snooker ball in a sock, swung like a mace.

11. what ever happened to good ol' fists?

12. all violence aside, you should really initiate a phone call. Speaking to someone is often the best way to resolve things, and you can often hear if they are lying.

I also buy everything off eBay with a credit card now (even through Paypal), because then if I dont receive the goods, I get my money back. But I've never been ripped off. I refuse to send money orders to strangers.

13. yeah go with the violence.

14. I know how you feel dude. A few weeks ago I won a bass neck off of ebay. It was supposed to be shipped from Montreal to Halifax. Instead, they sent it to Arkansas. The seller did the right thing and is giving the guy in Arkansas the money to ship the package to me, but it's still very irritating.

15. heh, how does that happen?

16. He had two packages to be sent out, one to me one to a guy in Arkansas. When he got to the post office they gave him 2 US customs forms when he should have onky received one. He filled them both out the same. This shouldn't have mattered because my address was on the package, but it did. The package is currently somewhere between Arkansas and here. . .

17. Was it the shavo type one you showed me?

18. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, I think the whole thing might be on the up&up after all.. I got an email today with tracking #, etc..

It's still not registered with USPS yet, but at least it's a response..

19. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    You need to let the seller know that he must resond to your emails and that failuer to send the purchased merchandise would be fraud,which is a serious crime. If that does'nt work stomp a mudhole in his ###$$$$.

20. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Similar thing here.

Although the guy shipped the bass, he's not so much the problem.

I asked him to ship it UPS, but somehow he forgot that part and sent it FedEx.

I have no clue when the thing is going to arrive. The tracking system is SO messed up. My bass left new york, went to ohio, somehow was tracked back in new york again, and now is in michigan (as far as I can tell) where I am also.

I like how UPS just has (Item will be shipped: < insert date here >) I KNOW when they'll deliver it. Here, I have no clue when it's coming.