Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ebay bodies

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kjbrowne, Jul 2, 2005.

1. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    Anybody have any experience with these bodys from brazil that are showing up on ebay for around 30.00?

2. general rule of thumb:
    cheap = cheap

it all depends on what you want to do. if you're looking for a 'cheap' body, then they're ok. If you're looking for something of good quality for your project, then it's not ok.

3. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    Im sure there not the quality of say a warmoth body, but they look like they are made of good wood. The finish does not look like its finish sanded but i would rather do it myself then pay warmoth.

4. I'm guessing that it's made out of a hardened type of card board, or perhaps plywood???

Don't short hand yourself by buying cheap, just because it looks like it's good quality, doesn't mean that it is... point and case, Fords. :D :bag:

~Ryan.

5. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    Well either
    1. There was a big rainstorm and all the cardboard got soaked

2. It was a bad auction and ebay took it down

or 3. It was a pretty good deal and someone bought all of them because they are all gone.(there were probably 20 of them in sellers other items).

6. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I got one of that guy's bodies for a Tele guitar I was putting together. The body itself was fine. The bodies are cheap because they are from Brazil, where labor costs are lower and because they use woods that are native to Brazil and lower cost to them.

I looked at one of their last auctions and it said they were stopping eBay sales to sell to distributors instead.

Jim

7. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    oh snap :ninja:

Found On Road Dead...

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I think this came up a few months ago where someone bought one and found that it was very non-standard. So you would not find a neck that would fit it out of the box and would probably need to build, or have built, one to fit it. IMO bodies are easier to build than necks, so getting a cheap body is basically going to save you the easier work, which doesn't make sense to me.

9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I have one, I'm working on it right now. It did need a fair amount of sanding, and the seller told me to expect that.
    The wood he uses is VERY nice, at least mine is.
    The neck pocket is standard fender, it did need some rounding for the heel though.