Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay Body Cheap

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by AndersonHSBass, Nov 21, 2004.

1. I have long wanted to build my own bass (ever since i bought an electric), being only 15 I do however, need a cheap and easy way to start with. I found this guy on ebay guitar_exotic_woods and wanted to know how good you thought his bodies were. Thanks guys and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I just figured you guys new your stuff about this after reading a few topics.

AHS

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I would say so. I might even get one myself..haha jk. But you should note that half of teh fun is making the body yourself. That is where teh creativity lies. Besides, if you plainning to build teh neck, that is the much harder part. But to answer your question, that is a very good price. If you just want to assemble something try somethign like this...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47067&item=3764098854&rd=1
    To save you some time, this is the cheepest prce you'll find this on ebay for, I've looked for myself.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The quality appears to be decent- probably suitable for a project bass that is somewhat experimental. I don't really see any contruction flaws, but the cavities could have been routed a little smooth and cleaner. It does bug me a bit that the bodies are all complete knock-offs of multiple brands, not just teh generic jazz shape.

4. I would stay away, far away.

There are several red flags here. First, he's in Brazil and international deals are notorious for going wrong - either accidently or by design. Second, his feedback is less than stellar for only having just over 100 responses. Third of those giving positive feedback, there are several that mention problems with poor quality, wrong product, and ads that weren't up front with correct descriptions. All of this adds up to enough of a warning that a prudent shopper would look elsewhere.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Look carefully at his feedback. .T

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I bought a body from him, and it would be OK for an experienced luthier to make a neck for it, the neck pocket was routed too far back. It takes a good couple weeks for it to get here to the US as well, his J bodies look OK, but care should be taken that the measurements are right. I planned on using a Fender-type neck on one of the custom-type bodies, but it would have only been good for a short-scale (31.5") and I'd have had to make a neck from scratch. Not enough room to mount the bridge. There are plenty of good bodies out on eBay, but I'd be careful. Not to say the transaction would be bad, but he's not that great at communicating. He speaks Portuguese, not English. :meh:

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Good call Hambone- I didn't check the feedback on a bad assumption that Anderson already had. Given teh feedback record, I would say look elsewhere. I don't have a problem with international deals so long as they are reputable salesmen.

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'd looked at the Brazilian Jazz bodies, but one of the things that caught my eye was that it looked as if the pickup routes were the same length. Not good.

9. Hmmm.

I'd suggest going to Rondo and buying one of their SX basses, rip it apart and then mod it. Frankly i'tll be cheaper and it's what a lot of people here do anyways.

10. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    ditto...my bad

11. Seeing what all you guys had said, I probably won't buy one. I haven't had tons of experience on Ebay and thought his rating was fairly good (97.8). I have contacted him and he seems to know what he is doing, even offered to drill screw holes for everything. I don't think I would let him go that far, but it seems his past comments have led him to want to make better basses. Still, I think I will end up making my own body.

Thanks
    AHS

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I looked at these way back when, and it definately looks promising at first, had a nice, beautiful body picked out, plus shipping, waiting, and the chance of it not being right wasn't enough for me.

All his routing templates are from Stewmac, so they should fit, it's just a matter of where he puts them.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The body I got from him I still have, I will eventually make a neck for it. A stock Fender neck would be 2.5" too short, and so would be unusable. But I could make a neck about 2.5" longer than a stock Fender, with perhaps 24 frets, and a stock Fender heel, and it would be fine. The pickup routs are both bridge size, but if I used Barts or EMGs, they'd work fine. It's the body style I got that was defective, if he'd have routed the neck 2.5" further forward, it would have been fine. It had a couple light dents in the body from shipping, but nothing that was a showstopper- they'd have gone away with final sanding. I even thought about using a fretless neck and going with a shorter scale, I could have blacked out the side dots. It just isn't a slap-together project.
    On a good note, the routs were very clean, and the wood was OK, though the one wood smells like...unclean butt! LOL...my buddy calls it "basswood without the B!" He shipped on time, sent me an email to confirm, and the transaction went smoothly. Keep in mind that the Brazilian economy is in the dumper right now, I give the guy props for being inventive and making his living out on the 'net.

14. Hmmm.

Hehehehe! So how's the tone on the (B)asswood? And how are you going to deal with the smell? Seal it?

That really brought a smile to my face this morning. Thanks!

15. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    If I could get a smell-o-vision to share this with y'all, you'd see what I mean...my cats freaked out when I unwrapped it! They were rubbing on it, smell-tasting it, rolling on it...it was hilarious. Now it's just a piece of wood to them... :D

16. That's very funny.

It looks like he's begun making more standard Fender sized neck pockets on some of his bodies. I've noticed his site has gotten better, so maybe he is learning from experience. It's gotta be tough working from Brazil.

17. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Yep it seems so,i emailed him about the neck pocket a jazz body he had on the bay as i need a replacement for my battered fretless his reply was

"The neck pocket dimension have 63,5mm X 98mm X 16mm (standar warmoth dimensions) Thanks !"

I missed out on that body due to my conection being offline at bidding close, so i contacted him direct and asked him to cut me a new one to my spec's (rear routed an exotic wood facing ect ect)

He said he'll send me pic's when its done and if im not happy with it i dont have to pay for it i dont think you can't say fairer than that

i'll throw up some pic's of it if/when i get hold of the body(i know shipping will take forever to get to the UK)

now im just hopping it doesnt end up smelling of Ass like Bassic83 's lol

18. Something inside me wants this guy to succeed, so I hope more of us support him and give him feedback so he can improve his product. I'm eyeing a tele thinline body...

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Another thing about most countries like Brazil, you have to pay exorbitant amounts of monies for internet access. Per-minute is not uncommon. When you only make around $20 a day, a buck a minute for internet access is pretty steep. Not always that high, but I have seen some plans approaching that. I never said I wouldn't do business with him again, I would and probably will, but be aware that these bodies are not "plug'n'play" like you might get from Warmoth or Mighty Mite. I hope he succeeds as well.