1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay buyer no pay

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Biggbass, Jun 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    For the first time I've encountered an Ebay buyer who is unresponsive... No pay, no response to invoice or contact mail. Now, it's 5 days after the close of the auction. I think Ebay allows 2 days to close the deal.
    What do I do now? Just relist? Offer a 2nd chance to the runner up bidder?
    Contact Ebay and report the guy?

Update: nevermind...I opened an "unpaid buyer report"

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yes or yes and yes.

3. I've had that happen twice. A bunch of bids on the items too. Both times caused a little more of my faith in humanity to die.

Pay for your purchases, you dumb jerks.

4. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Unfortunately Ebay is sometimes a necessary evil when selling items. Really wish some other auction service would give them some competition.

5. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I don't sell a lot, so I keep an eye on on-going auctions. If it is an international bidder, I will cancel his bid.

6. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Ok...so I went thru the process of filing an unpaid item report on Saturday and this morning
    I got an email from Ebay letting me know the buyer finally paid and it's ok to ship. I suspect this is because Ebay sent him notice of the report. The guy has a 100% perfect feedback score with 239 transactions so maybe he's decided to do what he needs to keep that clean. But, so far I have not received any communication from the buyer. So I'm wondering now if this transaction has any potential to scar my perfect feedback record should the buyer decide to post negative feedback since I reported him as a no pay. And also wondering if I can cancel his bid and refund his money just to avoid a hassle down the line.
    what do you think?

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I think you're in a lose/lose situation if the buyer decides to retaliate. Maybe he honestly forgot/got busy and all is well. Since you fired first with the no pay report, you should have some leverage if he does try to retaliate (don't hold your breath though.)

8. Robroy

Robroy Guest

Jun 21, 2006
    A friend of mine used to sell a lot of stuff on eBay. Between whiney buyers and paypal, he stopped using ebay a few years ago. He either sold through item specific sites (like selling your bass here) or didn't bother.

As for me, it's all about CL. I want personal transactions. I see the person. But I don't do it for a living.

MJ5150 likes this.
  9. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Once you filed the dispute with ebay he lost his ability to leave feedback against you. He paid up because everyone would have seen that he had a no pay on his record.

Johnny Crab and skychief like this.
  10. Surfing eBay for basses is losing its fun factor for me because of all the overpriced basses shipping from Japan. Someone here said people go to stores or see them for sale locally, swipe the photos, and list the bass on eBay. Once it's paid for, the "seller" goes and buys it, then ships.

11. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    that's good to know. I sent communication to him several times, all of which went without response, even my mail to him letting him know the item had shipped with tracking info got no response, and went ahead and shipped the item the same day he eventually paid.
    BTW: It was not a bass or music related item...just an old holster I'd had for many years that never got used.

12. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    This happened to me once...on a $4000 item. After the winning bidder didn't respond for more than a week I filed an unpaid item report. He finally responded. It seems he had been out of the country and neglected to check his account. I was eventually paid but it's true that the offender can not leave a feedback rating. This is what that transaction looks like in my feedback section (between the lines). All he was allowed to do was leave a comment. But it did kind of clutter up my feedback page. The irony was that he was going to give me a positive rating. :( I gave up on eBay years ago. I'd rather be slapped in the face with a dead rabbit than buy or sell there!

Buyer:
    Member id youngrak ( Feedback Score Of 416 iconTealStar_25x25.gif )
    More than a year ago

1937 SELMER Balanced Action alto saxophone (#120042950973) US $4,000.00

@Biggbass...Maybe the holster you sold the buyer will lead to him shooting himself in the foot. :thumbsup:

M. M.

13. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    @ blowinblue don't put the space betwee the '@' and the user name to tag them. @blowinblue see the difference?

14. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    LOL, "Ebay Buyer No Pay" It keeps making me think of "No Woman No Cry" which is a wonderful song.

So "No Ebay No Cry" "I don't sell there, I just Buy"

Will_White likes this.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This has happened to Bass San Diego numerous times.

16. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Sounds like a win all around to me. The shop in Japan sold a bass, the ebay seller made some money, Ebay got their cut, a shipper got paid, and the buyer got a bass they wanted. If the price hadn't been reasonable the buyer wouldn't have bought and none of the other transactions would have happened either. The only ways I see to improve on that is for the shop to advertise on Ebay, but they don't; or for the Ebay seller to buy wholesale (from a distributor 'cus, well, it's Japan and their retail system works different than ours) but then he's on the hook for a bass that might not sell.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    INTP likes this.
  17. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Agreed. This is classic arbitrage.