Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay Buyers who never leave feedback

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Feb 9, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Recently I've sold a bunch of junk on ebay as well as a few of my basses. It seems like maybe 70% of buyers actually leave you feedback. I don't mind not receiving feedback when it's a cruddy set of ski goggles from 1994, but it does bother me (a lot) when it's a $600+ dollar bass.

Has anyone had similar experience. Any tips to ensure that buyer leave you feedback?

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    There are a lot of those people around the "bay". I think of feedback as a very important thing. I also drop sellers a note when I win an item or when I actually pay for it (PayPal) to please leave feedback as well as advise me when item XYZ ships...most of the time it works.

3. +++1. :)

4. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Me too. And when I sell, I send a reminder that feedback is important so if you are happy with the bass, blah blah blah. Just such a drag cause the more high ticket sales you have, the more trustworthy you are perceived to be.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've been stiffed for feedback about 50% of the time on eBay. I just sold a guitar. I checked the buyers feedback "left for others", and he hasn't left anyone feedback in over a year! :rollno:

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The feedback hyperbole is starting to get to me.

<<<<<<A #1 Best Seller Awesome Person A++++++++++++>>>>>>>

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I really don't care if I get feedback or not. I leave a note similar to the one Razor does. If they don't leave me feedback, oh well. The sun came up the next day after the last time I bought something and did not receive feedback from the seller.

-Mike

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I don't do that - my positive feedback is supplemented with a dangerfield one-liner or other joke, some comment like "miles davis rules," or something else not related to ebay.

9. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    No way!

Someone told me that *I* was the #1 best seller!! One of them has got to be lying... ;)

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's true: It's all a lie. I made up that feedback so I could look like a bigshot on the boards. :(

11. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I pay for every item I buy right away, and almost never get feedback from the seller. I did my job and payed right away. It's their job next to ship the item and leave feedback.

If they don't leave feedback for me for paying right away, I'm sure as hell not going to give them a positive.

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    -1 I think that if you have all good things to say about the sellers communication, shipping and most importantly, the quality of the item and accuracy of the description when you get it, why are you not going to leave positive just because they don't leave feedback right away? Sometimes people forget. I know I forgot a guy for over 2 months, and I'm usually pretty prompt about it.

I figure the most I can do with buyers and sellers is remind them to leave me feedback and then it's up to them. But I'm not going to hold it against them in my feedback that I leave for them if they don't do it.

13. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah, just to do some follow up, I have been getting feedback about 1 in 4 times (on the buy side and sell side) since posting this. It's very annoying and unprofessional. However, I do leave feedback always. One of the things that you can check on an ebay is feedback left for others. If they never leave feerdback, you can think twice about doing biz with them. At least no one can say that about me...

14. i hate when people do that. i can understand if you are a powerseller from hong kong and you ship out hundreds of packages a day. but if you are joe schmoe, i expect some freakin feedback.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree with you on all counts, and GetLow, this is why I try not to deal with obvious businesses. I believe it's really watering down ebay to catch some people who don't know what they're looking at. Ebay was originally a market place for the individual to sell stuff they no longer need or can afford, and businesses really take the personable feeling out of it, with form replies to everything and an automated checkout.

However, I make it a point to always leave feedback, and if I don't recieve it, I send a polite message asking for them to leave me feedback. Once when I dipped below 99% positive (because of sellers who sent retalitory negatives after the product was obviously a ripoff and wouldn't consider refund and get defensive about their product) I was kind of in a rush to get myself back over 99% by contacting people who still could leave me feedback but didn't. This worked.

My biggest ebay complaint: retalitory negative feedbacks. I paid for my stuff, I held up my end of the deal, and I get a negative because YOU rip me off. :spit:

16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I guess I have been pretty lucky so far. I have received feedback for every transaction.

I agree that someone not leaving feedback would be annoying. I had one guy take about 5 weeks :eyebrow: before I received feedback. With my low feedback (16) every one of them counts!

17. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    To me, a seller that doesn't leave feedback once the item has been paid for is insecure about the quality of his service and mechandise. It's like he's waiting to see if the buyer is going to give him a negative so he can do one right back.

18. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I always leave feedback, but sometimes I think people just don't bother because they don't want to give neutral or negative feedback. For example, I put a CD up, but the guy didn't give me the money until a day or two later. Unfortunately, I went away then for a week, and I had no chance to post it. He didn't leave feedback at all, and I'm guessing that's because if he'd given neutral or whatever I would have said that he could have sent the money sooner. I emailed him before I went, explaining the situation, so he was happy enough with it.

Or maybe he was just a miserable bastard.

19. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    In some cases that may be true, but I still stand behind my belief that I'm not going to leave someone a negative just because they didn't leave me any at all. 1) It has nothing to do with the actual transaction and 2) I don't actually know the reason why the person didn't leave feedback. They could have forgot, email could be down..any number of things.

20. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I don't remember saying that I would leave somebody a negative for not leaving me a positive (though I've thought it many times, but never done it)

I just return the favor and don't give them feedback either. If I've paid for the item, I've done my job, the rest is up to the seller.