Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBay Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StandYourGround, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Its probably crap...

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    good chance

3. Ya, it'll probably last like a year or less and have horrible tone and not even have the loudness you want ... ya, i hate people who put stuff like that on e-bay and try to trick you into thinking its the best in the world.

:scowl: :rollno:

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    They don't sound that bad, just don't expect Ampeg sound. I've got the 2x10, haven't had any complaints.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    There is a reason the price is so low.

6. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    The web site for Madison speakers is http://madisonspeakers.netfirms.com/ - there is a link to online retailers there.

There is a guy in Memphis that uses a Madison cab with a 21" speaker in it - he has tons of low end because of the 21.

He said that the cab (I think it is a PA sub) does have a "hump" in the 80hz-100hz range that he tweaks out using a parametric EQ.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They are not really bad. The thing I have found with cheaper speakers is that their coils can't handle the heat of the wattage they are rated at, they just seem to burn up easier. This is especially evident in car subwoofers.

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I do not have any idea about the cabinet construction. I bought of couple of Madison Warrior 12's (supposedly like Eminence.) I replaced the cheapo speaker in a Behriner Bx600 combo amp with better than expected results. I use it everyday and have used it in an emergency situation at an outdoor gig (pushing it hard!!)

Watch out, the shipping is 130.00, bringing the total to 405.00.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Then that means they are exagerating their specs since thats exactly what the rating should be describing, when they get to that point.

10. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Seems like I read a not so good review of this cabinet on Harmony Central.

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'll tell you one thing. I just tried to go to the website of Steelsound, one of the distributors for Legion Sound and their website is gone and the url's for sale. Couldn't find any info on Legion Sounds, either. I did find the Madison site.(Flash-happy)

12. timibud

timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    Colorado
    Steelsound is still there, I just tried it! It does redirect you to their new web store page, with lot's o' new stuff.
    Says they make their own 8x10 cab out of maple with the same Madison Warrior speakers for $299, or empty for $159.
    They also got Eminence BP102's for only $39!
    I've got one of their 15" maple cabs & love it!

13. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Be careful about that "maple" construction. I bought a non descript speaker box that they sell on ebay (listed as a bass cabinet or monitor.) It too was described as maple. It's just ordinary particle board (like Hartke Transporter.)

14. timibud

timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    Colorado
    They say 3/4" 7 ply maple & that's what I got. Quite a bit nicer than the X-Audio particle board one that I also got from them & only use for guitar anymore!

15. Am I seeing things or does that thing have a horn? Pretty unusual in a bass cab...

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I found it! Thanks!

17. timibud

timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    Colorado
    Yes it does, I didn't even hook mine up. Took it out & played with tubes in it as another port, but ended up just screwin' it back in.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it's not Scottish, it's CRRRAP!

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have played through a Legion Sound cab, and from my experience it was not of high quality. Does it suck? No. How do I say this without sounding like a jerk......ummm, if you are shopping for cabs in this price range, then you may not have a big problem using them. In my opinion, they are more fit for car stereo applications.

If you can jam that 810 in your trunk or back seat, throw in a 50 cent CD, and you'll be DA' MAN as you go bumpin' down the road.

-Mike