1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ebay conundrum question/recomendation/advice please?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So I recently listed and sold a Thunderfunk 550B head on ebay. The thing sold fairly quick as the buyer placed a bid the first day. So I pay for shipping on Ebay USPS with Insurance and put the amp in my truck to drop it off. Then I get an email from Ebay saying the funds (for payment on the amp) have been frozen and will not unfreeze for 21 days. So now I'm like what the heck. Needless to say I did not ship the amp and waited until I could talk to someone at ebay. So after work I called and they explained to me this is standard policy that the funds will not be released until the purchaser receives the amp up to 21 days. I explain to the guy that I have been using ebay for 20 years and have never had this happen and he basically said talk to the hand.

I sent the buyer a message explaining the situation but to be honest I would rather just refund the buyer and tell Ebay to take a hike. This "I might get my money sometime down the road" does not cut it with me.

Is there some way to fix this I'm not seeing?

I'm not selling the amp to pay the bills so might just reverse this transaction. Can I get my shipping money back through Paypal? Can I get my Ebay fees back? Through Paypal?

FWIW I have 100 percent positive feedback rating on Ebay, why would they do this?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Ellery and EatS1stBassist like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Probably too many fraudulent transactions happening on eBay, in general.

Basically it's a forced escrow account. Alibaba had to resort to an escrow function to reduce fraud, in general.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    EatS1stBassist and saabfender like this.
  3. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Except I still have the amp. :D
    No money no amp.
    I'm pretty sure Ebay cannot reach into my bank account and get an amp and they cant penalize me for reversing the sale. Sure they can charge me the fees and I can get negative feedback but that's like Oh Well. I may never use ebay again.

4. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I hope this isn't a pervasive thing. I would never sell on eBay again. No one should have to wait 21 days to get paid. I wonder if it had anything to do with the buyer, not you.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    That's your choice.

What they're preventing is you getting the buyer's money and not sending the product.

creaturegods, I am Soma and JRA like this.
  6. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

No they are not. I have hundreds of transactions on Ebay that proves I would not do that. I didn't just start using ebay yesterday.

MDBass, EatS1stBassist and saabfender like this.
  7. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Its possible I suppose.
    The buyer just asked me to call them that it showed paid in full on his end. Which I did and got nowhere. I told the Ebay customer no service guy that "so what you are saying here is you want me to stop using ebay" and (seriously) he kept responding over and over "no that's not what I'm saying". I was having a little fun with him.

BOOG, EatS1stBassist and Mili like this.
  8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I remember getting an email from Ebay , sometime this year, iirc, stating that they had made changes to the buying/selling rules, but I never read what they were. Maybe they changed some policies.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  9. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

The ebay guy told me it's always been this way, I'm like no it hasn't. o_O

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    TNCreature likes this.
  10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So I talked to the buyer again he said he called them and they gave him the same BS. I'm refunding him his money and gave him my number if he still wants the amp I would be glad to sell it not through ebay.

Jim Carr, Johnny Crab, MDBass and 6 others like this.
  11. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Yeah, that's BS.

EatS1stBassist and saabfender like this.
  12. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    Between Reverb and the TB classifieds I have completely stopped using eBay for selling music equipment.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Well issued the guy a full refund in Paypal. Right now I'm out somewhere around $48.00 counting ebay fees and the shipping I paid for I did not use. I marked the listing as unpaid and will send the buyer good feedback. I couldn't see a way to unlist the item or list it as a reversed transaction. Guess I'm, no longer an Ebayer.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    MCF, EatS1stBassist and Garret Graves like this.
  14. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Can you imagine the cash PayPal and fleaBay could earn if they held the proceeds of every transaction for 21 days?

Those companies handle a ton of money everyday

MCF, Max Bogosity, MDBass and 9 others like this.
  15. munkeyfish

munkeyfish Supporting Member

As soon as the buyer gets the amp and tells ebay he did, the funds are released. 21 days is the default for if the buyer forgets to inform ebay he got it. Buyer protection. PITA for the seller sometimes.

Bob Clayton, BassikBrad and BCRichguy like this.
  16. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    This is why I don't want any middlemen in my internet transactions.

EatS1stBassist, Mili and Red Planet like this.
  17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    You should get a full refund for the shipping.

18. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    It's hidden pretty well but it is possible to cancel a bid. It's in there...

Yeah - I've had to void a couple of labels. It takes them a couple of days to credit your account but it's pretty painless.

19. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I been using ebay a long time and never seen this. Why have feedback?

20. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

So I found a way to cancel the sale had to list it as buyer requested this as there were only three choices of reasons. Don't see a way to undo the shipping fees, will ebay refund me automatically?