1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBay dead?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgod76, Mar 11, 2008.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Is it just me or have EBay bass and amp listings decreased over the last 5 years?

If I want a Yamaha jampack cheap bass with 15 watt combo amp, I'm in luck, but anything other than that is few and far between.

Could it be the seller fee via Paypal for large ticket items the culprit?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I would also have thought that by now, most people would have realised that as postage charges are usually based on weight - most bass amps are not the sort of thing you want to be shipping very far!! :p

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yes I agree about the shipping charges. I was in the market recently for a new combo amp, or at the very least, a new cabinet and found a few on Ebay I liked. By the time I get done haggling for days, the price shoots up incredibly when it comes time to ship it. Not worth it for me.

4. amps are better bought from online retailers with free shipping and unconditional 30 day return policy.

I see plenty of bass' on ebay. What are you looking for?

5. Mr. BooBoo

Mr. BooBoo

Dec 12, 2007
    Dousman,WI
    I wouldn't say the market is dead...I would just say the deals are dead.

There are a few golden deals if you search a lot.

6. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I agree. I remember when I first logged on to EBay back in 1999. So many people (not stores) were selling great instruments at nice prices. You could find so many examples of older, or rare pieces.

Oh well.

7. mccartjm

mccartjm

Oct 10, 2006
    i was just thinking the same thing. there is allot less stuff for sale than a few years ago, and it is getting harder and harder to get a deal. i think allot of the shipping prices are REAL shipping prices even though they look like ripoffs. The Uprecedented Profit Syndicate (UPS) recently charged me $85 dollars to ship an amp from the chicago area to Brooklyn. They also charged me $67 to ship a bass to SoCal. I am no longer selling things for this reason, i lost like $200 on shipping durring a selling frezny a few months ago , and people STILL thought i was ripping them off on shipping.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I have a theory that Ebay and online retailing has killed the market!

So - in the old days, you had bass shops and people would trade in their old bass when they bought a new one - so there was always a big used market - based on these "Trade-ins" . So initially there were a lot of used basses hanging around to be sold on Ebay or wherever.

But since online retailing has killed off most shops (certainly true in the UK ) there is no second hand market. So when people buy on eBay or through an online store there is no real facility to trade in your old bass and negotiate a deal.

So - standing in a shop with your old bass - you could play up its merits and say to the store owner - if you just give me £($)xxxxxx on my bass, I will buy that expensive high-end bass that will otherwise be hanging around for years in your shop!

Online retailing has put all the power in the hands of the seller in terms of the "used" market and has effectively killed it!

9. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I know I felt like I was raped :( the last time I sold a few items on Ebay recently, between the Ebay & Paypal fees and then the added fees when you exceed certain dollar amounts it's almost not worth selling the item!!
    I try to do local sales on Craigslist or friendly user forums:D
    Ebay is all right if you are the buyer but certainly not if you are the seller.

10. Loosing money on shipping is nobody's fault but your own.
    DHL is best for heavy items.
    Never go to a ups store always take products to the USP proper wharehouse.
    For smaller things, US postal service is the way to go.

11. mccartjm

mccartjm

Oct 10, 2006
    ...not when UPS's prices have gone up 50% over the past two years, that is nobodies fault but someone other than me.
    Dhl has been very unreliable for me in the past, and i dont have a UPS warehouse that close to me (45 minute drive), and basses arenot small items.

12. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Useless trivia....

In 2002 I took a screenshot in the Bass>Fender Category...I remember seeing a daily volume of about 600 items, and there were on average 300 in Jazz and 300 in Precision subcategories.

Today
    Bass>Fender = 648
    >Jazz = 276
    >Precision = 265

Flat-lined for 6 years in volume.....or

all those items are the exact same ones that were for sale in 2002 (ha).

13. well, you are supposed to charge your customer for shipping, perhaps you could have done a little research before listing your item.
    Sound like you are a little lazy, and blaming others for your lack of work ethic

14. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    This is a really great discussion of a topic that has been on my mind for a while.

I think the best way to look at what is going on is that the used bass market is a true market and just like the securities markets (NYSE, NASDAQ, etc.) it has become more efficient over time with transparency and a flood of new market participants.

In plain english, more people look for "deals" on the internet than ever before and more people can sell their instruments than ever before as you are not beholden to what th elocal store will give you. So this has done a few things:

1) There is more pricing information as buyers and sellers can watch listings and sales

2) Because of 1, more educated and/or professional sellers and buyers are using the space, thus affecting pricing (sellers can put in reserves to limit losses and use buzzwords to get more bidders, buyers can "snipe" to win auctions at the last minute)

3) Because ebay has essentially become THE second hand market, there is no middle man to mark up prices from wholesale so instruments trade directly between seller and buyer at a more "retail" price.

4) Lastly, because of consolidation in the manufacturing and retain space (read: Fender, Gibson and Guitar Center), the prices of new instruments are fixed, have a high "floor", and are increasing every year, thus the inherent value of used instruments is increasing in lockstop. Same thing happens in the used car markets.

This is all perfectly logical. Just how markets behave.

At the end of the day, ebay is a good thing for sellers cause your collection can be liquidated pretty easily. Buyers can do well too, you just have to learn how to trade on some of the quircks in the system.

As to shipping, I have had great experience with Fedex ground. By far the cheapest and most reliable form of transit. UPS and USPS are unreliable and overpriced.

And some tips to keep shipping costs down-- minimize the pachage size (every inch costs money), minimize the shipping weight (use styrofoam and bubble wrap instead of shredded newspaper and ship in gig bags if possible) and drop off the packages directly at Fedex stores or better yet, Fedex distribution centers (saves time and money).

15. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Maybe because all used basses for sale are here ! I bought my first bass in ebay , I bought the other three from the classified section. And if in the future I suffer of gas again, TB will be my first place for looking medicine. I feel more confortable buying my gear from collegues... Just my opinion

16. Craigslist might be part of the cause. For larger items especially, lots of people will try to sell on Craigslist before they try eBay.

17. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    Yeah I used to have a love hate relationship with ebay but now ebay upgraded it to a hate-hate relationship.

18. mccartjm

mccartjm

Oct 10, 2006

hmm...ignorant maybe, lazy no way. i am a very hard working person. there is no need for petty insults.

19. Bruce Lindfield

It probably the fact that you need a work ethic and have to put a lot of thought into it - whereas all the flashy ads for Ebay sell how easy it is - that is contributing to the downturn!

Easy to send out CDs or Clothes, for example - but large bass amps... not so easy!! :p

20. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    It's like every other marketing operation: in the beginning, nobody knows about it, and buyers and sellers generally operate on good faith.

Then more people hear about it, and the sharks move in, and the culture changes.

When was the last time you saw an instrument that wasn't **RARE** and **VINTAGE** and didn't have an unrealistically inflated price? Sure, good deals are still out there, but eBay has become the "instant riches" trove in a lot of little peoples' minds, where once it was a place you could sell stuff because it was no longer needed for a reasonable price.

Let's hope craigslist lasts a little longer.