1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBay dead?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgod76, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Interesting discussion, this :).

Being (as I am) based in Europe, things are a little different over here. In some countries (e.g. the UK, Germany, Spain), ebay is very well established is widely accepted as being the best place to look for any used bass bargains. I've certainly had my share of vintage and high-end bass "finds" over the past 6 years :smug:.

However, in many European countries (even large countries such as France and Poland), ebay just doesn't seem to have caught on and the number of items for auction in the Bass Guitars section is often less than 100 :eek:. There may well still be excellent bargains to be had in these emerging markets, but there are certain obstacles :meh:. For a start, if you're in America, you'll be instantly discouraged by the $/Euro exchange rate. Even if you are in Europe, the language barrier can make dealing with some sellers anywhere between "pretty difficult" and "totally impossible" :(.

Still, when all's said and done, I think that we (as bassists) should be very grateful for the emergence of ebay and its' immitators. Remember how difficult (and expensive :eyebrow:) it used to be to buy all of the monthly guitar mags, in the hope of finding what you want in the For Sale section AND being able to get to it before everyone else :smug: !?

Mind you :meh:, I wouldn't complain if ebay were to spend a tiny fraction of their millions of $s of profit on improving their (non-existent :rollno:) Customer Service department.

2. Thomas Swenson

Thomas Swenson

Feb 9, 2008
    I see for the most part a bunch of crap instruments sold by retailers on a BIN basis, with a retail mentality. There are few used bass auctions with good quality instruments. The good buys are few and far between. IMHO retail has ruined eBay as an auction format. Remember a few years ago when GC was selling used instruments on the bay? Classic GC approach with dirty, broken, and unkept instruments, never having a case, and asking top dollar. They must have cut out of eBay at sometime. GC is fine as a retailer, but just had to join the eBay bandwagon, again with a retail mentality. These days, I have no interest in sifting through several hundred SX, Crafters, MK, and other such instruments, that are generally priced higher than they would be at a store or at MF or some other online vendor. People must buy these instruments at the inflated retail price plus shipping charges. My rant is over. Thanks.

3. I think the introduction of BIN might have had something to do with it.

lowsound

4. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    It's just you.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

This is the big thing - all the bargains have long since been taken up and it's now just a case of people "misprepresenting" the rubbish that's left...:meh:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I feel the exact opposite - eBay has killed off the great bass shops we used to have and left us with nothing! :meh:

So as I mentioned before I coudl take a morning and visit the Bass Centre in London, browse through dozens of great used basses , try them out and get a good deal by trading in basses.

But eBay has meant they have had to shut down along with most other decent shops and we have no real used market - just junk on eBay that nobody really wants and which nobody would actually buy if they had got to try them out before buying!! :(