Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eBay dibs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alex, Jan 30, 2006.

1. I was just reading a thread in the Amps forum where this guys was showing off his new Crest CA9 that he had recently gotten on eBay. Someone else posted that they, too had bid on the same auction, but had been outbid by the original poster.

This got me thinking.....They guy who eventually won the auction probably had to pay much more for the Crest because the other person bidding was just driving the price up.

This has also happened to me many times before; I will make a bid with like 15 seconds left, but then someone bids with like 2 seconds left. The other person doesn't win, they just drive up the price like $30.

I was contemplating how to avoid this as much as possible when it hit me - why don't we post about items that we are going to bid on, and then state how high we are willing to bid. That way, people who aren't willing to bid as high as this person won't bid on the auction, and thus the final auction price will be lower.

This would be limited only to TBers, of course, but I think we could be saving eachother a lot of money over time, eh?

Just a thought.

Sorry about the flurry of threads - I'm just bursting with ideas! :D

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you have two or more people who happen to all be members of TB, why shouldn't they bid up an item if they all want it and are willing to pay for it? That's what eBay's all about, right?

3. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I almost got a Precision body for 10 bucks. It was a knockoff, but still cool. Wound up with a yamaha. I'm going to find a fretless neck for it and have a cheap fretless.

4. yes, but one person will eventually win, and why wouln't that person want to pay less for it instead?

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

I agree.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sounds like a good idea until you are the seller.

-Mike

7. Buzz kill :scowl:

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    ....was a fairly funny show on MTV. :D

-Mike

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think people get greedy and in the last minutes of auctions their palms get sweaty and they think 'eh, whats another $10?'

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yes they would.

which is why many users enable the buy it now feature.

otherwise. stay out of an auction.

11. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yes, but that one person might as well take their money elsewhere.

It's an auction...this is what auctions are all about...

12. fine I give up. I denounce my idea as a product of illegal substances and lack of sleep. :D

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    In the end, either you're willing to pay for it or your not. We all like a bargain, but I see nothing wrong with people fighting it out capitalist style for things they want.

As a person who sells on ebay from time to time, bidding wars are my friend. As a person who buys on ebay, I bid what I want to pay and realize that if I don't get the item, another will come around.

The STOOOOPIDEST thing I see is guys who post about specific ebay auctions here then expect everyone to keep their hands off.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Bid what you're willing to pay and don't worry about the rest. After all, some talkbassers SELL on ebay too. Do you wanna keep their prices down?

15. double true!

It just makes me go like "hmmm...I could use one of those...."