1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ebay difficulties, please explain

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Downunderwonder, Sep 29, 2009.

1. I'm in New Zealand and little dealing done on ebay. The guy says he will ship bass overseas but asks for low feedback and overseas bidders to contact before bidding to determine payment method or face bid removal.

Fair enough. I do this saying I will pay by US bank draft or wire transfer. He replies "bid away" and even adds a buy now unsolicited, which I jump on.:bassist:

Now he's making like I'm going to pay by paypal. I just want a name and address or bank account so I can do like I said.

So I'm not an American.:bag: I admit it, I don't get what the problem is. Over here we have our own auction site and it's s.o.p to give purchaser your account details to get paid. When we say ok we mean ok.

:help:Can someone (a) explain and (b) advise what I should do?

I copied the bit from the auction asking to contact for payment method confirmation, messaged back the seller reminding him. Any more ideas?

2. apologies to the ten folks reading the same post in "miscilaneous" no traffic in that forum so I reposted. I'll go back and delete that one.

3. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    I do all my ebay payments via paypal, it's easier and more secure. I never EVER give any of my bank account or personal information out, and most people follow the same rules.

4. Buyers give their name and address all the time. Why not a seller, I can send him a draft?

and what's the danger in giving details anyway?

5. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    There's a large number of risks associated with giving out sensitive info, common sense is usuals s.o.p when dealing over the internet, and I don't really see any reason for not sending payment via paypal, they protect your purchase and refund your account if the product is not shipped.
    And for example if I had even your IP address I could horribly maim your computer beyond recognition, now imagine if I had your bank account info. Not that I would harm your computer:p.

6. I still don't get it. We kiwis trade bank account numbers freely and nobody gets ripped off. Internet banking numbers are a different story. I don't do internet banking, way too risky for a hacker to get hold of my accounts.

What could a miscreant do with just my account details? The evidence suggests: nothing at all.

I don't want to get into the merits or otherwise of paypal. How did the seller expect to get paid when I said I would be paying by the other means?

7. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Ok, go ahead and send your account info to me, and enjoy being homeless.

8. Now that would be reckless seeing as you have indicated a threat.

On the good news front the wheels are in motion.:hyper:

9. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    I'm not trying to be an ***, just making a point. Not everybody on the internet has good intentions, but good to hear the sale is in order.

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Um, knowing your banking info, IIRC people can withdraw as well as deposit. And thats where problems start.

As for the computer thing, if you've ever DLed something via Torrent, someone undoubtedly has your IP. Alls they need then is the port you've told your firewall to allow unsolicited traffic from. Other comps seeking to DL some of your stuff still needs to ask for that stuff. Same thing happens (legally) when you go on this site. Your comp asks the TB servers for info via port 80.

11. Hi.

Happy to hear the deal is going well.

The reason You don't get it is exactly the same as why I don't get it.

Those of us who live in small countries, aren't paranoid enough to suspect everyone. Sometimes the paranoia is justified, sometimes not.

Over here it's the same as in Kiwi. You buy something/win an auction, You send the money for the item and the postage, the seller ships that to You.

Obviously there's scumbags and con artists here as well, but common sense is never a bad thing to have and the scumbags take their lessons relatively quick, hard and well ;).

The deposit/withdrawal system also works differently in different parts of the world. Over here it's impossible to make a withdrawal with just the account number and name AFAIK. Trying to do so will also set of a few indiscrete alarms and really fast freeze Your account. Even if it was You forgetting the security codes/mistyping/scrambled code because of the KBD buffer malfunction/etc. :atoz:.
    You all can guess how I know that first hand.

OP, when cussing about the weather, lack of work, ruff living conditions and the Aussies living next to You ;), take a minute to weigh all the positive sides living in a small country offers.

Regards
    Sam

12. The bass shipped yesterday.

Side note, over here if you pay by cheque then you're giving your seller every little bit of your account info all typed up nicely. I suspect that's no different anywhere else and it's all just paranoia.

And yeah, it's really nice living here, suck on that, paranoid sellers of the first world. :p