Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay Ebay Ebay...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr_Dave, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    So my mate goes on ebay at like 1am last night and finds a 64 all orginal p right down to the covers on there. its in china. one day auction. NO RESERVE AT $45aus!!!!! :eek: He holds off, bids and wins at $415aus. Thats like 275us dollars!!!! :eek: :eek:

He hasn't heard back yet from the guy which is a bit dodge and he'll obviously have to pay shipping. It all sounds like it could be dodge but... i guess you gotta take a chance

Even if it plays like a dog he can sell it and make some sort of profit...

Even if its a fake and it plays like a dream hes got a ripper deal.

We shall see if it comes off....

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Was their a shot of the front of the headstock? I' not that up on vintage Fenders, but I thought they had an "f" on the bridge covers. I'd be concerned with the auction being in China that the bass will even show up, but you didn't give us any info on the buyer's feedback so that's just a blind knee-jerk assumption on my part.

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    hi,

no shot of the front of the headstock :meh:
    good point but i have one 2 other shots i've included

just got out my fender bass - illustrated history. it says that the f on the neck plate only came in after the L series was finished - mid 65.

i haven't seen the ebay info such as his feedback...

EDIT: oops just read the next post and i see you wrote "f"s on the covers not the neck plate. my bad. and yes, only ever on jazz basses

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Sounds a bit dodgy, but it could be great.

As for the bridge covers, there is a "f" only on the jazz basses.

Let's all hope it works out all right.

5. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    well i've been following this sale and first off 1.it's from ontario canada 2.it sold for $4900 us still a bargain.the seller took the neck off for the first time ever and discovered it was actully a 65.it was sold to a well known vintage collector/dealer from LA. :)

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm confused. Are you saying that this bass was sold by a Canadian to a US collector for nearly $5K in an auction different fromt he one Mr Dave mentioned? And now Mr. Dave's friend has purchased the same bass from someone in China for $275 in a late night one day auction (the epitome of panic purchase situations...)? That would seem to validate my first impression from the story. I would not send any money to them until I was assured in a solid manner that the bass truely exists in the seller's hands.

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    shouldn't it have the Fender "F" on the neck plate?

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well,
    that doesn't really suprise me...

it all sounded pretty crazy but just wont send any money i guess.

he was waiting to hear back...

i guess it was worth a shot

as i said earlier, its a p bass - no f on the chrome plate and
    the f on the neck plate came in only after the L series was finished mid 65.

cheers

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    DIdn't the Fenders of Yor have a 3 bolt neck? "F" on the Neck plate and also they would not have had a Serial number on the neck plate??? I am not totally sure though

10. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    P-basses never had the three bolt neck - only mid 70's Jazzes.

What is the auction #?

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well... I read it that he's saying Mr.Dave has got it all wrong and has picked up misinformation ...kind of like Chinese Whispers!!! ;)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My other guess is that those pics were posted on the original legit auction and then somebody has copied those pics for a scam, when they don't actually own any bass at all!!

This is pretty typical of fraud on eBay! :meh:

13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Right. Grab somebody else's photos, start an auction, collect payment from some poor dupe, disappear.

Happens ALL THE TIME. I won't buy from anywhere outside the US, except maybe Canada. At least that way, the whole deal stays in one legal jursidiction. Not that I'd call the cops, probably, but the threat is more credible.