Ebay experiences??? What have yours been?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I've actually sold more guitars on Ebay than I have bought. But I have purchased two basses (one a '77 Music Man which I resold) and just bought a Warmoth Jazz bass (haven't gotten it yet).

I would like to know what your stories are regarding buying gear on Ebay. Any horror stories out there? Success stories?

"Rock music is about f***ing. It really is."

--Terre Roche, 1979
  2. I bought a gu*tar on ebay... he shipped it within 3 days but it took forever to get here... purolators fault i guess

I was told it would be packed awsome, with a ton of padding...well he shoved it in the thin cardboard box it camein with like 3 shirts and and a pair of kids shorts :). He saidit was mint, but the knobs were all wobbly and such.... all in all it was an ok buy, just make sure you ask a lot of questions.

My seller also forgot to leave me feedback.
  3. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    EBay is good for sellers and terrible for buyers. The company itself maintains a de facto 'caveat emptor' policy and in a sense encourages hustlers and cheats

I stopped using them after three purchases where I paid for the goods, and they were never delivered. You effectively have no recourse. Programs such as Buyer Protection and SquareTrade are little more than charades to garner extra income for EBay. The outcomes of these programs, no matter who they decide for, leave collection of the goods or money in the hands of the two parties

Overall a very bad service for commerce. It is, though, a very good search engine for items on the market. I purchased my Modulus Genesis V through search on EBay, and direct contact of the seller.
  4. Never had a problem selling or buying.

I must be lucky.
  5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Mixed. More good than not. The worst is probably the Marshall Super Lead reissue. It arrived bouncing around inside a large box, protected by 3 packing peanuts. Head enclosure totally obliterated. Politely contacted the seller, who not so politely informed me I was attempting to scam HIM. Not really sure how I had hoped to profit by smashing the amp. Silly me, one of my alternate personalities must have been in control that day. Absolutely no help from any of the official sources. I will say, though, that those amps are TANKS. Works fine. Pricing out new enclosures made me sick. Ended up buying a used Crate that had a big enclosure for $80, gutting it, and using that. One time I bought a soldering station that didn't work, but the seller replaced it at no cost, which really surprised me. It's a crap shoot.
  6. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Same here, I must be lucky too.

7. tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada

Same here

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I bought my Pbass on ebay. Really good experience, it's odd that no one else bid on it. But it was in perfect condition, even though it was built in '99. It even came with a free gigbag. Shipping was fast, there were no customs or import charges. It all worked out. Although I have bad luck selling stuff, I can never seem to sell things for the prices I want.
  9. Andy On Bass

Andy On Bass

Sep 10, 2005
    I've never had a problem buying or selling! I've got some really great deals on bass gear by using Ebay.
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I always review the feedback and only deal with somebody who has accumulated a bit of + FB.