Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay experts

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Opinions please.

I never sold anything on ebay. I realized last night that I have a couple of things that may be of value that I'd like to give a go at. I don't however know what I should list them under, and I'm not sure what the deal is with people trusting me since I never sold anything.

I have the orignal "Book of Knowledge", a hard cover text for the years 1962 thru 1965. I think they'd make an EXCELLENT B'day gift for someone born in that year and want to list is as such, AND possible have it also come up in a search if someone happens to be looking for just that.

I saw last night that I have an original funeral card (one of those little cards with the picture, year or birth and death, and a prayer on the back) for John F. Kennedy. It was used as a bookmark in one of the texts. That thing's gotta be worth something big to someone with money to burn. :)

Any thoughts whatsoever on how to proceed with this stuff and get the maximum people would be willing to shell out? This isn't a desperate I need $40 quick thing either, more of a "lets see how crazy people are and what they're willing to fork over for this". :)

Any input welcome. Thanks.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Before you post any auction spend some time watching them...case out the items you're looking at selling, or similar items. Figure out how much you're likely to get, how people list them for best results. Check out how they're listing them...some of the categories can be confusing and how you title your auction can have a HUGE impact on your sale. That book may have say, one picture that collectors of that one odd guy are looking for...or that Kennedy 'death card' may be a rare misprint...so know your stuff before listing. Mislisting items can cost ya!

Next make sure you've got NICE pictures/scans of your items...make em look good, but don't be deceptive about yer pics! Pictures can sell your stuff. Nice detailed descriptions help...try to anticipate questions people might have...and try to show that yer a 'real person' in your description...someone that's hopefully trustworthy and friendly! You'll have better luck with auctions that end at high traffic times....so don't end your auction on Monday at 9.35am...You want those people to be able to bid up yer stuff at the last moment!

Last... be realistic with what you want/expect to get!

3. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Try and check out some similar items and see how much they sold for (search for 'completed listings' in advanced search). I agree that category is important - for a little extra you can list in 2 categories which might help.

Otherwise, just make sure your descriptions are as full and detailed as possible - this makes you look trustworthy to buyers. Give as much info as you can - too much is better than too little.

I agree with BurningSkies about timing too - its probably a good idea to list on a weekend, then it ends on a Saturday afternoon or something. Then hopefully you'll get a nice bidding war!

Good luck:)

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Joe,

If you think it would be worth it and you can get some big money for either of those things then I'd try first auctioning off some other cheap things to get some feedback built up. Be very descriptive and personable in your auctions so people will feel like you're a real person and not some faceless jack on the other side waiting to rip them off. Make sure your auctions have good pictures and good descriptions. Any item should have all flaws pointed out and explained up front. Full disclosure will also help instill some confidence in the buyer.

brad cook