Ebay Fake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SundanceChile, Dec 26, 2005.

1. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Ugh. It looks old enough, but that is a terrible job of a fretboard replacement. And if he has so many basses, then why take apart one to sell just the neck? Why not sell the whole bass? I don't know about this guy.

Is he selling the other half of his bass on another auction?
  2. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004

Compare pics of other '68 headstocks. I, for one, am suspicious.....

If it is legit, why would anyone sand down the headstock such a minor amount? I might expect that on an SX headstock... but a classic Fender? It doesn't seem quite right.
  3. I did, the placing is right, but I'm still wondering why the head stock would be sanded down. Maybe he chipped it around a bit and decided to make it look nicer? The code seems almost dead on for its year, if I could make out that first digit, this would shed some serious light on the situation...Not to mention that fretboard is kinda bleh... :ninja:
  4. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    i'm not sure Fender used that kind of "jazz Bass" logo in 68... i got a 78 Pbass with that character and i thought it was a 70's style. The headstock doesn't seem sanded down to me, but the fretboard is crap. It probably had a truss rod change, because i've never seen such thick fretboards used by fender, and the truss ord hole isn't even aligned. It could be a 68 neck, but in that condition IMO is not worth more than 50 bucks
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They did use that logo in 68, but the crap fretboard replacement is enough to turn me off it.
  6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Why don't you call Mr. Don Hill and discuss this with him. He's put his phone number on the auction.
  7. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    because i already have 8 basses of wich 2 fenders and is not worth calling from italy for something i wouldn't buy...
  8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Sorry... my post was directed at the original poster (from CA). So how's Italy this time of year?
  9. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    no problem, AJ ;-)
    wheather is quite cold now (around 10°C) and next week its expected to go down between zero and five... even if i live in the south, the winter has come. Not the best time to come by.
  10. Sent him an email last night, I didn't have this much info before hand to really discuss it with him over the phone, but now I'm taking that into consideration.
  11. this guy probably purchased this neck on e-bay, and is trying to sell it for a profit. or he bought it and put it on an SX or some other body. it would not make sense to take apart a $5000 bass and just sell the neck. somebody will probably purchase it, put in on a newer Fender body, and we'll have one more forgery on the market. :cool:
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man, either that headstock is huge, or this guy has the tiniest feet I have ever seen.

13. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    LOL! :D
  14. it must be a forgery. the 4 1/2 foot headstock wasn't even made in '68. they came out in '72, i think. LOL :D
  15. Where are you guys getting the idea that the headstock was sanded down? It doesn't say it in the auction and there isn't any sign in the pics... :confused:
  16. compared to another 68' jazz, this headstock is much more rounded, and the label is much closer to the edge of it.
  17. Maybe his is about 12' tall.

with tiny feet.
  18. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The neck looks pooey.

I wouldn't go near that...Personally, I'd rather have something new over that.
  19. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Fender went from the '64 transition block logo to the black w/gold border block logo by '69, so like JimmyM says, it's possible...but either the headstock sanding job is wacky-hack, or the decal placement is 'aftermarket'. (Check the 'F' in Fender, and its relationship to the headstock's downward point.)

And what's up with the fingerboard jaggedly continuing past the nut almost a 1/2 inch into the headstock?

A poor job, compounded by the apparently sloppy slab joint mating that sandwiches the truss rod between neck and fingerboard without even centering the access.