Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay fee increase

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wireking1, Jan 20, 2005.

1. For Example:
    Auctions ending $25.01 - $1,000 (most of what I buy/sell)
    Was 5.25% of the initial $25, plus 2.75% of the remaining closing value balance.
    Now 8% of the initial $25, plus 5% of the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 - $1000)

That translates to over a 2.25% decrease in sales profit for the seller. Yikes. I am sure we all pay in the end.

I love the smell of Capitalism in the morning! (no I really do)

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, I don't sell on eBay, but I would almost bet sellers take that to mind when listing and maybe raise their prices a bit...Gotta love greedy companies who just don't make enough in a year :rollno:

Ray

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Plenty of other online auction places have tried to get going and failed in the past but perhaps with these kinds of fees now is the time for another to rise up and compete with Ebay.

brad cook

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I was pretty shocked by the amount of increase. Some rates jumped as much as double. Lame! It's not like ebay isn't making cash hand over fist anyway - doubling the rates is absurd.

Good thing I'm a supporting member, and can posts classifieds here at TB.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    True dat! I think they were the first big internet company to actually make a profit since they had little overhead and no product costs and they made money off of every auction.

brad cook

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Don't like it? Don't use eBay. It's really a pretty simple concept. Who gets to decide what eBay's profit margin is? I'm sure they'll take your assesment of their bottom line into consideration, though.. :rollno:

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sounds like another greedy ass company if you ask me

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I don't need to use eBay, and whereas I disagree with the policy, doesn't mean I will not use it. If that's how I did things, then there would be *very very* few companies I would do business with. I'm not saying they'll take what I say into consideration at all, and every company's annual reports is available - I suggest you go look at eBays before you decide to comment in that aspect again. What they will notice, if this is drastic enough of a negative change to make them lose customers. One persons voice may not be enough, but this isn't going to stop just one person, either.

Ray

9. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I've been starting to not use paypal anymore either. Between ebay and paypal about 10-15 percent of the final price goes to ebay and paypal fees. Which means I have to raise prices which means less interested buyers.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I remember when Paypal used to be free.

Didn't these Ebay fee increases only apply to people who use Ebay Stores?

brad cook