1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamarjones, Jun 19, 2007.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
  2. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Whatever it is, it's f***ing gorgeous, I wish I already owned it.

Never heard of Fender doing a neck-through design before though, and don't remember seeing anything like this in my Fender Bass Illustrated History book. What's a HEARTFIELD?

3. nice bass!

4. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The DR Heartfield, Fenders attempt at a high end bass at one point, came in bolt on and neck throughs, and a VERY fine playing and sounding bass IMO. didn't catch on, so you can pick one up pretty cheap. Also, I think Ty Tabors Fender is a neck through? Very random, but they have produced a few NTs.

5. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I just googled, and it's definitely not a DR 4C, unless they had several different styles of that one model. The DR's on the site I went to all had "DR" on the headstock and the angle at the top of the headstock is different.

Someone was speculating in the eBay listing's comments that it might be an F-Bass. This seems pretty credible, as they *do* use an "F" as their logo, and possibly back in the 80s was using a Fender-style F as a logo. Someone else was speculating that it was Fender prototype that was never productized.

Anyway - it looks awesome, I'd love to play it. Reminds me of the TB thread "who has a bass no one else on TB has?"

6. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I think it will DEFINITELY qualify for that, but I think Quadzilla's older f bass has the earlier logo for F bass, and that is not it. I definitley don't think it is an F bass. And it really looks like some Fender Fs I have seen. No?

Ohh...I'm watching it, but I also thought it be cool if a TBer had it. Price is right so far.

7. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    It went for $561 on the bay.
    They lost me at $456.
    Based on what I could find on google and at the Harmony Heartfield site, it may very well be a Heartfield Fender.

Later...

8. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I won the bass actually, its just too unique for me not to try it out, although needs a little cleaning for sure.

So, there is a site called heartfield-central.com or something, emailed the owner, he said that bass came up on the forum, no one thinks its a heartfield (all the heartfields I have seen say heartfield, ) and frankly no one beleives its a fender. Emailed gruhn about it, someone (not mr gruhn) emailed back saying he wasn't sure it was a 100% fender.

You see the one comment that says it might be a prototype? I checked that guys website, like me he has had a million basses (ok, a bunch), and he sent me his pics of his prototype. I am starting to think I was right.

Attached Files:

9. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Way to go and congrats! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE re-post once you've received it and have checked it all out, I'm dyin' of curiosity, envy, and a desire to just play it.

10. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    PS, where'd you get the picture of Geddy on crystal meth? :) Just kidding, hope it's not you!

11. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    LOL, nah just a pic of a mullet wig, wish I knew where it came from cause its a sweet wig! ;)

12. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ok, got it, adjusted it, plays pretty nice and sounds nice. Still think that is a fender F, looks just like the ones I am thinking about, and I'd have to see something pretty conclusive to believe other wise, I think other speculation if pretty baseless. But other than that, I have no idea what it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. wow i saw that a while ago on ebay and it looked like a knockoff fender at first, but now that its a verified fender, i may try to find one of these

14. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    well, not sure about verified. I emailed fender support about it a while back, no word. We'll see, but if someone inlaid that F in there, it's one of the best jobs I have ever seen. Right in par with the black dots on my 76 p.

15. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Authenticity aside, it looks totally hot. Very unique and cool, a good cross between space age and coffeetable. Some hints of Alembic, Status, and even Kubicki in there. Sweet!

16. Thanks for the update. That is one awesome looking bass.

17. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Lets see if this helps any in 1970 or so Fender wanting to cover the up scale Jazz market introduced a series of archtop jazz box guitars ... one was the Montego ... I dug up this headstock scan from a 1970 catalogue

note the inlay on the Montego and your bass ...

View attachment 62850

View attachment 62851

:eyebrow: ... Worst part is I remember the catalogue from when it came out!

18. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks Kenny!!!

19. wow! It IS a Fender! Headstock and nut are identical...

I think you just got onto a very rare bird find there, lamar...

congrats!

OOPS! :bag: IT IS YOUR BASS! lol....

never mind...I'll go away now...LOL

20. That is such a sweet looking bass! I'm envious!
    When you contacted Fender, did you give the serial # to them, also? It will be interesting to hear what they have to say. Nice find!!!:D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021