1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamarjones, Jun 19, 2007.

1. what's inside the control cavity?

2. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Wow, that is close. Did you scan that? I'm wondering if it's another picture of the same bass.

To me it looked like an Ibanez or something that has been re shaped. notice how it appears the top veneer was stained before it was shaped, how the edge bevel looks like a different color. Either way the current body beveling looks non original.

The EMG P5 is an odd choice and either the A or D might be quiet when that pickup is soloed.

The shape of the back plate might be a good fingerprint to match with another model.

Cool bass.

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ok, took some more shots. Cavity is not that interesting, don't know if it helps anything, but doesn't seem to have been a preamp in there before, and the EMGs are aftermarket for sure.

I am guessing beveling means that edge outside of the top wood? So I took some pics of that, it does a little iffy at spots but spot on at others. I think if it was production, it would seem strange for sure, and no I wouldn't rule out refinish. But if it was a hand attempt originally, then it makes a little more sense. Some of it is actually wear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Wow again, the side veneers are trippy!

Those pictures make me think even more that it was finished in some kind of poly, then hit with a router with a bit of bandsaw. Then the exposed wood was finished in something less glossy. I would be temped to strip it to bare wood and refinish it.

5. hmmmm…complete rewire…no sign of any "original" electronics…amateur job…but clean enough…interesting selection of small pots…

the shape of the cavity, the lack of shielding material, they all indicate to me "production" bass and not something custom…although…

but if it WERE a fender, why not a nut slot? This nut is applied the way the Japanese do, like on the Yamahas….

I'm guessing that it's a japanese production bass...probably made by Yamaha or Ibanez...the body shape certainly suggests "japanese"

6. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    with all the weirdness (aka sometimes as coolness) that comes out of Japan, I buy that the most actually. Wish there was a pretty extensive site for Fender Japan. Like BC Rich, I think they got to run with the reigns a little bit on creating stuff. The only thing that bothers me about that theory is that F Japan does a pretty good job of following serials. The serial here, 981313 stamped right behind the headstock, really doesn't follow any pattern, certainly not an import pattern. And honestly, everytime I look at the prototype Fender I posted earlier, it just confuses me more.

But, confused in a very amused way ;)

You can see that weird little line in the finish where the neck would normally meet the body, that is also present near the headstock as well. I gotta thank you guys for talking this out though, I do appreciate it! Haven't decided if this is staying or not yet, but I am definitely glad we can sit here and talk about what you guys know and so on. TB RULES!

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I spoke with someone at Fender today about the bass in the pics and was told that they doubt that it's a Fender.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Have you tried dating the pots to give perhaps some sense of which era you may be looking at? The small pots and style of the jack make me think some sort of Asian origin. Of course, any changes can throw those guesses off.

9. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The electronics are not original, or at least the pups aren't, I would be the pots weren't either.

Disappoiting to hear Jaquo, but thanks for saying that. Actually I got a note for elderly saying the opposite, but they have no idea what it is.

If someone does KNOw what it is, that would really be the only thing to dispel the notions here.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    What did Elderly have to say ?

11. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Saw it on my work email before I left Friday, said the headstock looked like it had fender markings that they had seen, but past that they had no idea. So, really not that much different.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I think we all could see that(and I'm not being sarcastic).

Maybe it was made by a current or former Fender employee(unauthorized).

13. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

Oh yeah, I know that is obvious ;) I sent a pic fo the headstock, but I gave the full size one in case any of the peeps was wondering if it was inlaid afterwards or something. I think that is all he was commenting on.

Either way, thanks for asking a Fender employee, great use of resources up here!

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

You're welcome,My friend at Fender works in the Fender custom shop and I'm sure he's seen his share of Fenders.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I just think it's incredibly COOL. Great find!! Enjoy!

16. It looks like a reworked Vantage bass from the late 70's early 80's to me.

Here are some pics of a guitar from the same era. Couldn't find bass pics. If you look at the logo under the F on your bass it's off center and looks reworked. Vantage made copies of Alembics and Aria Pros at the time. I think yours was a Vantage copy of an Aria.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taper the headstock and sand unwanted dark areas. Add logo. Refinish where needed.

:EDIT: This was off our archived forums....same bass? I think we have a winner. I found this after my original post.

17. In regards to my last post, the seller wouldn't be from DC would he OP? I know there were pickups upgrades but these go for about the 150-200 range.

From the same poster (left out unimportant stuff) :
    If it's not the bass it has too many similarities to avoid. I call it a Vantage.

Edit: I left usernames out for obvious reasons.

18. That seems like quite a fair bit of money to pay for some random guy's "experiment" ... on a bass that wasn't particularly very good in the first place

19. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    It might be just me, but can you point out what are the striking similarities of what you just posted versus the bass in question?

20. The user in question that may have had this bass before you posted he had a Vantage from early 80's. It was an Aria Pro II copy. He had two P-Bass style pickups in it. If you read his "project report" on these forums 5 years ago he almost goes through step by step how he took out the 2 sets of P-Bass pickups, toned the bass a color of red, reshaped the body and headstock, and put two EMG pickups in it's place to create an 18 volt circuit in which your bass has.

The picture I posted was a guitar from the same time frame, not a bass, to show how Vantage did neck thrus and to show he just sanded, reshaped (cut off the top) the headstock and put a black Fender logo on the headstock and relaquered the bass. Here are some of the "progress" reports.

Post 1
    Post 2

It may not be the same bass but I wouldn't any reason why anyone other than this guy would take a 150.00 bass and set it up EXACTLY the same as yours. He reshaped the headstock, body and put in new pickups. There are too many similarities for this NOT to be your bass. Again the pics I posted were just of a guitar from that era before the mods since I couldn't find any pics of that Vantage model bass.

It may not be your bass, but it sure sounds like it.

Edit: If it is the same guy that I quoted in the posts from the archives on here he was a huge Ken Smith and Alembic fan and you can see that in this refinish. Also if you read the forums the guy was talking about getting an Alembic Dragon custom made 5 years ago and was incessant about it. The Ebay ID of the person you bought this from is "bassdragon73", another similarity to the guy who refinished the bass on the forums.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021