1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamarjones, Jun 19, 2007.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Although I still don't see it (I actually don't think the logo is off, and it looks like a GREAT inlay job, which a decent bit would have to be reworked on the headstock to outdo old inlays unless it was just a decal), but send me the user's name and I'll ask him if it was that bass. What you describe has happened on a tone of basses, and at every point the the red wood shows up it would have to be and protruding depths to really get it to stand out like that.

So yeah, shoot me what you know of this guy, and I'll verify, or get him to verify it. Thanks.

2. Pm's user info for the person that may have reshaped this bass to OP. He advised he was sending a PM to that person.

3. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    i have sent that off, thanks!

4. Find out anything yet?

5. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    i mean, haven't heard back from the guy you sent me the info on.

6. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I figure if it is something else, then the headstock probably has been messed with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
  8. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ok, so I just talked with Philip Kubicki, and no he doesn't thing it was done by Fender either. He said kinda looks like the fender plastic they had, but other than that prototypes were mostly destroyed. So what can I say? I am not sweating what was put in, actually the bass is pretty slammin except the neck pickup either needs a new battery or wiring help.

Fenderhutz, may be what that other dude was saying, maybe not, but did I read he stained the bass red?

9. He stained it red/brown and then sanded it down to show maple.

10. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    In my honest opinion it looks like what we have here is nothing more than a Vantage, Aria or some other mid eighties Japanese knockoff that someone has reloaded with pickups and taken a power sander to. Sorry guys but I really don't think there is much mystery here. At least nothing that warrants as much time and effort as it seems has been put into it.:bag:

11. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    But hey, if you like it, an all that's required for it to be asweet bass is a new battery or a closer look at the neck p'up, why not keep it?

I think it looks amazing, even if it was done on the cheap! :meh:

12. If you check the forums (and some of the older post in this topic) I may have found the guys worklog from 5 years ago when he was rebuilding this. The OP sent him a PM and hasn't received anything back yet. If it's right it is an early eighties Vantage.

13. Because of the headstock I can tell you it come out of the Matsumoku factory in the early 80's. Google it. Someone shaved this bass down.

14. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I still buy the japanese thing quite a bit.

However, I took a look for vantage and aria. Look at the stringers on the back of them. Almost all I have seen have strings just like the vantage you posted, thicker and closer to each other. I haven't seen any others, so if you got pics wither they match up, I would love to see it.

this is kinda close though. (sorry I am still talking about this, I really would like to know whtat this stemmed from. Teh beauty is, it weighs like 5 freakin pounds!)

[​IMG]

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021