Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay find #2: Is this legit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassroy, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Bassroy

Bassroy

Jan 2, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
  2. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    You could always ask Ken... He lurks mostly in the DB area, but you can drop him a PM and get his info on the matter ;)

3. I'm pretty sure that in the earlier days, that's how Ken did his headstock logo. Looks fine to me :)

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Are you suggesting that this is not an actual Burner bass, or are you familiar with the Burner series. Seems right to me.

5. Those pictures are of an authentic Smith. The Burner models had the words "Ken Smith" inlaid in the headstock instead of the familiar "S". The heel carving is another dead giveaway.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  7. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    that's an awesome headstock shape...:D

8. I'm late but I also agree that is a real kS Bass.. looks alot like a Surine Bass if I recall?

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

What's to agree on? It is what it is. Surine seems to have 'borrowed' some of our design for lack of an original idea!

The Burner Basses are not the USA Handmade Basses. All Smith Handmade Basses have an "S" Logo in the headstock and say "SMITH" on the Truss Rod cover and NOT Burner. The Burner was our Own Copy of the 'BT' model Bass in a Bolt-on version. The CR series Basses came a few years after (1991) we started the Burners (1989) to offer a Handmade USA Bolt-on version. Burners were handmade to a degree and completed at my shop in NY and later in Pa. We supplied all of the Tiger & Quilted Maple, Figured Walnut, Solid Walnut and Morado Fingerboard Blanks from the beginning in 1989 till about 2000 when we stopped making them. We had many Tiger Maple and Walnut body halves all matched up and ready for use when we stopped the Burner project. These Body blanks then became the BSR 'J' and 'M' series 2-piece Bodies without the Center Block which are all made in our PA Shop from our aged lumber stock.

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Hey, Ken. Why did you stop making the Burners?

11. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    In 1989 it was a good idea and we sold over 1000 in the first few years. Then it sort of died down a bit. In 1998 we changed the Body and Head to the BSR and made some more but sales were so slow then we just put it to rest.

In 1989 we only made a Neck-Thru BT series like todays Elite series Basses. The Burners were priced at less than half of anything we could make. In 1991 we started to make our own handmade bolt-ons and by 1996 made a J-model. Now we were competing with ourselves. The Burner was a great idea when we had no mid-line priced Basses to offer. As soon as we did, people turned to the USA handmade product. I believe the Burner was and still is a great product. The problem is, you can't beat perception over the head and win.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Yeah, that;s a Burner... and a nice looking one at that ! They are great basses even though they are not handmade...

13. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Yeah DZ, they are 'footmade'!

14. Tim Bishop

Tim Bishop Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2006
    USA
    Ken,

I'll back you up on your Burner models.

I have the last 6-String Burner (black w/soapbar p/u's) to leave your shop. In fact, that particular bass is the reason why I own several of your top-line basses, without one regret. Anybody that would comment otherwise simply has not played one or has no clue. For the money, you simply cannot beat it.

While I have my favorites, different woods provide different voicing and I have never been disappointed with any product that has come to me from your shop.

I just hope you don't get too wrapped up in your Doubles and allow the best basses on the planet to fall by the wayside.

Tim B.

15. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Thanks for the nice words of support. The 'Doubles' IS the reason why I started re-designing the Electric Bass 'as we used to know it' to begin with. I am just coming back full circle, that's all. I need to keep playing music and have something else related going on in my life when the Shop closes each day. I have a music stand in my office to practice when I take a break or need one when the going gets tough on some days.

I am a multi-tasking type person and for that reason amongst others do not worry about the production of my Electric Basses while I come back home to the Double Bass.

As you mention different Basses have different tones, well the Double Bass is 1000% more sensitive to change in materials and designs than any solid body. Tuning back in to the Double Bass keeps my ears well tuned for every Bass and every piece of wood that passes thru my hands each day.

Strive for Tone. Any Carpenter can Glue a bunch of Pieces of wood together but that in itself does not make it a 'Musical Instrument' no matter what shape you cut out!!!!!!!

16. Tim Bishop

Tim Bishop Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2006
    USA
    Ken,

Your point is well made as well as received. I apologize if my last comment about the Doubles was ambiguous in context.

In our conversations, it is quite obvious to me that you are very passionate in all that you do as an artist. Your contributions to the electric bass over the last several years is unmatched and an incredible gift to those that receive and appreciate it. I, as I am sure I am speaking for others, am grateful for those contributions and fortunate to be a beneficiary of all that you have derived from those doubles. Keep it up as I can't wait to see the next innovation out of the Smith Shop.

Sincerely,

Tim B. :bassist: