ebay from other countries

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Where's One?, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Hi,

I keep seeing basses being being sold on ebay in America and some ship worldwide. Now a lot of these basses are very tempting 'cos I live in England and basses are SO much cheaper in the USofA which makes me think I could get a very good deal by shopping worldwide :) (or am I missing something and it is a very bad idea? :( )

Has anybody here puchased a bass from anther country?

Would you recommend it? :confused:

Is there anything in particular I should be considering when buying a bass from another country?

2. My bass is currently on it's way from Germany... ;)

Remember, there's www.ebay.co.uk!!!

Buying things from other countires can be a bitch. TBH mate, by the time you've paid for shipping ( and tax + customs if from a shop) it's gunna be about the same price, or more! And you also gotta chekc currency ratings!
  3. Yeah, it is on ebay.co.uk I have been looking, with the 'available to the UK' search option.

How much is shipping to the UK from the USA?

Would I need to pay any tax + customs on a second hand bass import?

(Thanks for your reply microbass)
  4. If you buy a second hand model, then there is no tax. I think.

I don't really understand it.

Actually! I think, if you buy OUTSIDE the EU, then you got tax to pay - if it costs more than £30.

Or maybe its brand new outside the EU, you got tax.. I'm not sure!!! I called the customs & exises place before I bought my bass from Germany, just to be sure, I say you do the same!!

What have you got your eyes set on?
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have bought several basses from the US, but have now given up on that idea. Check out all the nice basses that are available from England, France, Denmark, Germany, etc... Surely you could find something you like without having to go across the water? A standard US made bass will because of shipping, insurance and taxes in some cases cost the same or more than a really nice European made custom bass. The only reason I can see is if you really want a specific brand or model that's only made in the US.
  6. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    When I bought European gear and brought it back to the US, there was a "personal exception" price ceiling of $1400 USD. Everything above that was taxed, and taxed well. :eek:

When I looked into shipping, it was absurd. Depending on the weight and size of the gear, the airline ticket to fly over and pick it out would be the same as shipping. For the most part, you can get it on the plane, but in may cost more based on being "over-sized" or "over-weight".
  7. TBH, I think this is a kinda problem... Although, like Anders said, how many 50's P-bass do u see floating around here? Next to none!

... Why I couldnt get that G3!!!! :mad: :(