Ebay...I just don't get it.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassman134, Oct 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You know, I am amazed at what people will pay for used equipment.

I've been looking for a used Hartke 3500 and followed this one auction this week.

Check the price it sold for... Now look at his one....

What the heck? Would you really buy a used amp for 326 + 25 shipping (especially when in the description the seller put in "has built in digital effects) Over a brand new in the box from a music store Amp with FREE shipping...

It just boggles my mind...is 50 bucks worth the risk?

Is a used Hartke 3500 really worth $325

I am buying a new on 399 + no shipping in 2 weeks... Just can't find any good deals out there....

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The thing about eBay is knowing when to let go. Some people just get too competitive when it comes to bidding on stuff.

The key to getting good deals is to only bid what you consider to be a good price. I have bought the second edition of the real book for 10 bucks (regular $36) and the James Jamerson book brand new with 2 CDs for $13.
  3. Oh I totally agree.... I've gotten good deals before,its just they are hard to find.

It can work for you of course, if you are a seller. I sold a 2 year old Honda generator for 1200 bucks, when you can buy a brand new one for 1500 online. The the guy had the nerve to complain about they way it ran, after he flooded the crap out of it by not pulling the choke when starting it. He even said, I could have bought a new one for 1500 bucks..Now if I have to take it to get repaired...I felt like saying...well who told you to bid it up that high...I started the bidding at 900. Dope.

I guess it's kind of like gambling...
  4. The trick to buying on eBay is doing your homework on the product BEFORE YOU BID. I've bought a few things there, maybe a couple dozen, and I researched every one of them before deciding to bid. And, as in any good negotiation, I do not get emotionally attached to a photo and sales pitch on eBay.

I play softball, and I bought a $125.00 NEW Rawlings glove for 10 bucks, new tag on it. It was a couple year old new stock, from a sporting goods store. I bought a new pair of hiking boots (retail $135.00) for $25. How did I know they would be what I needed? Went to a local retailer and tried them on, then went back and bid.

I've even bought two basses on eBay, the most recent an MTD Heir. Nice bass, and I got it at a nice price. So, it can be done, if you do your homework and are willing to walk away from a bad deal.

Just my take.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    An item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, and if that someone thinks theyre getting a good deal, then so be it.

P.T. Barnum was right...........
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    This is worth saying twice.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And also if you're prepared to live with your conscience for "ripping them off"!!!

It's a question of morality - like big countries screwing over small countries "because they can" :(
    - hopefully we should have progressed beyond this - but apparently not?

Dog eat dog?
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    If you are connected to the Internet, YOU as a buyer have the power to convince yourself that the item in question is legit and that it would be a good deal for you. Forums such as this one is a very helpful tool for that. And there is at least one forum on the 'Net for just about every special interest. If you speak decent English, it's quite easy to find people who know stuff (or at least THINK they do).

If I manage to sell a Wishnevsky for $2,000 to some uninformed dumbass, well, he deserves to be ripped off. It had been very easy for the buyer to see that my price is ten times above what it should be.

Hell, I payed too much for a bass once. I'm not mad at the seller for setting the price that high, because he didn't exactly force it on me, you know?

International politics is an entirely different matter. Poor countries let themselves be screwed because they have no choice. You don't HAVE to buy that $2,000 Wishnevsky!
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    On a somewhat unrelated note:

As if eBay wasn't big enough, they just fully acquired PayPal!
  10. I agree ... Like in my case of the Generator... what am I supposed to do? Email the bidder and say, hey your are bidding too high, you can buy this thing new for 200 bucks more? For all I know a $200 dollar savings is important to this guy.
  11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Oh, PLEASE.....that's the dumbest thing I have ever read.

How, exactly, are you ripping them off on Ebay if you describe the item honestly, and it gets bid up to the eventual winning bid? Are you forcing them to bid more than they should? Are you forcing them to log onto Ebay, and bid on your auction? Are you forcing them to send payment before you send the product?

Tell you what Bruce, the next time you sell something on Ebay, and it goes over what it's actually worth, I expect you'll send the buyer an email saying, "Oh, you poor fool. You bid too much on what I was selling--here, I'll sell it to you for less so I don't have a guilty conscience."

And, leave it to you to inject something about big countries screwing over little countries in a thread about frikkin' Ebay. :rolleyes:
  12. [​IMG]
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Bassmonkeee beat me to the response, Bruce.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, you stand more of a chance of flooding when you DO pull the choke. The choke closes the butterfly in the carbuerator to draw fuel. Most of the time you don't even need to use the choke, unless it's cold, or the engine hasn't been started in a while.
  15. My mistake...my strong point is telecom not small engines... He did say he pulled the choke, I just didn't believe him..maybe he did flood it that way..
    I do know even on the brand new one, you need to pull the choke to start it.

But the point was the guy bought something used for 250 bucks cheaper than a brand new one. And I know for a fact that there was not a darn thing wrong with it before it shipped. I sold it for my brother-in-law, who is a mechanic and who made sure that it was solid before we shipped it. It started right up and we ran it for about 20 minutes before draining the gas and packing it up.

I don't know what happened with it, the guy never emailed me again.
  16. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    More like, Dog eat cat.

I'm a dog person. :D
  17. What's wrong Bruce? Cat got your tongue? God, I love it when people flame Bruce, that made my day.
  18. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yeah, Bruce, you got burned!

19. Bruce Lindfield

I have never and would never buy or sell anything on Ebay - I have a sense of morality!! ;)
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Well - unlike the rest of you I do have a "life" - you know - where you actually go out of the house and do things like play bass for other people - I know this is probably an "alien concept" to you 'net nerds, but don't worry - I'm sure you'll find enough people who are slightly dumber than you to rip off and hence gather more gear to clutter up your homes!! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.