1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

eBay idiot seller of the day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

2. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    Sounds like someone knows how to spot a bargain :ninja:

3. Maybe its vintage?:bag:

4. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
  5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Not for nothing but I've never seen an SR400 that cost more than $400, so even the $649 sounds crazy to me.

6. Duh, the value increases daily due to "age"

7. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Sure and while your at it.. don't post any pictures at all, that way we all know your for real.

8. Not to be the lone person who "reads" the listing, but it's a Canadian seller (most likely selling to another Canadian) and that's probably the price issue as well: AFAIK Canadian prices are about double the U.S. equivalent. Also, the space for a picture appears that there was a faulty upload to simple mistake in posting one.

Not that this is the most well-written listing ever ("...and even Balance!") but sometimes you have to look beyond the listing title. :rollno:

9. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    The listing specifies $999 US (Approximately C $1,043.49)

10. Haha not only that, but Canadian prices are definately not doubel the US equivalent.

A MIM Fender jazz goes for $450USD or $470CAD ( on muscians friend

A MIM Fender jazz at my lcoal GC is $550CAD

So thats... roughly a %15 price difference.

11. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    ****. I saw someone try to sell a MIM Jazz Bass for over $800

12. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Rare vintage.......

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    While the guy is certainly a fool, I bet his intention was to list it for $99.99.

14. must hold some sort of sentimental value.

15. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Gee Honey, I tried to sell it and did not get a single bid. I don't know what's wrong with people.

16. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I don't know about over in BC but here in Ontario the instruments get taxed from duties up the wazoo. That accounts for double the price, not the exchange rate.

17. And where is the seller listed as being from? That's right, sports fans: Hamilton, Ontario, CA.

18. On the note of stupid ebayers, there is this guy...
    ehhh
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-RBX6JM-J...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    he's attempting to sell JM's original sig model, but the moron ripped out the bridge, preamp, and ALL the tuners, replaced them with non Yammie parts, and the tuners on the treble side are guitar tuners
    I don't really know if this guy realizes that's the equivalent to smashing your bass when it comes to trying to sell it...

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That idiot is me, trb6pJM2. It still has the Yamaha preamp- I didn't remove that.

It has guitar tuners on the treble side because they're lighter and because bass tuners can't hold the size of strings that are currently on it.

Little defensive, are we?

20. Seriously, Angus clearly stated in his listing why the modifications were done (he made it a Piccalo) and that it would be restrung upon the buyer's request. Also, from my experience with the JM models is that he's correct that the bass was extremely heavy when stock and that his mods would help reduce that.

Stupid eBayers are stupid eBayers, absolutely. But I think that in this thread, where both listings were shot down 2 for 2, that sometimes we're simply trolling for "funny" listings when they clearly aren't.