Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay impulse buying - good idea? Help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tifa, Apr 18, 2005.

1. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Hi everyone :)

Now I'm a newbie, both to the forums and the bass. I really want a good quality starter bass, I've been looking at some low to mid range Yamaha's and I'm leaning towards them.

So I'm lookin on Ebay today, and as if by magic....... a RBX374 has gone up for sale. I really like the look of these basses and I've seen some great reviews. (Hey, I know its not a Ric but it'll do for me, I'm just punching my weight here!)

What I want to know is, is it a good idea to just buy a bass off Ebay without having tried a similar one out or anything? If I buy this am I going to regret it forever?

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7316138765&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

The feedback is really good, I've also sent a question asking if it has been gigged.

So what do you lot think - is it a case of Ebay madness or am I on to a good deal here?

(Mods - sorry if this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it!)

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hook up with NicktheBassist and Toasted for one of their bass shopping expaditions! :D

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    The feedback looks good from the seller. I generally don't buy many instruments unless I can play them first, but now that I think about it the last three I got were through the mail and I was able to buy from people I knew pretty well.

The bass you're looking at is a pretty nice one..if it's not your thing I wouldn't foresee having much difficulty passing it on along.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think as a starter bass, its hard to go past a decent P or J copy like a Essex or a Fender Squier. They will almost be flexable whatever musical situation you are in (ie imagine showing up to a jazz gig with a silbver RBX). That said, if the price is right, get what you can afford as a first bass!

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It'd be worth you taking the train down to Manchester, and going to Aos/Soundcontrol, Dawsons and Roadhouse. That will give you a decent cross section of basses to play in all price ranges and they're all friendly guys.

Pm me if you want some more specific info.

6. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK

Thanks Toasted!

Yeah you're right, I do really need to go and try some out first, but work and laziness keep getting in the way :) Manchester's no distance really.

I'm just really tempted with this ebay sale! really can't decide.......... hmmmmmmm.... :meh:

7. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    First, as a musician, I don't like buying an axe that I have not played and examined. It's gotta feel right! Before buyign a bass I check out a lot of things, is the neck straight ? Are the machine heads working properly, what are the electronicss like ....
    That said, the elctronics like amps can be a more sensible Ebuy. Still there is the unknown. I have bought a lot of effect pedals on line as these are a more "cut and dried" purchase.

I see a lot of crazy bidding wars where people pay far more for things than they are worth.

There is always the difference between what you are expecting and what yoyu actually get. This unknown must be taken into account.

All in all, I prefer to buy face to face :)

8. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I would put in at least half a year of playing before you make the jumop to an intermediate bass. The longer you play, the more you get a better idea what is really "you".

I started with a horrid P bass copy in 1979 and used it for almost a year before upgrading to a Vantage. I think they are still around. Adequate but lousy electronics.

In 1981 I upgraded to a Fender P bass that I used for over 20 years. In 2003 I tried a Fender Aerodyne Jazz and it was love at first note....

9. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Thanks John - I'm thinking I should go try some out first. It just seemed a good deal!

Bidding wars really annoy me. Its likely that the bass will go for at least £150 when I could buy it brand new for another £50! I think I'll just keep it on my watch list for now.

Mark - I really like the look of those SXs but you can't get them over here (as far as I know) - apart from when an odd one comes up on Ebay! I know what you mean about the look of the bass though, as yet I have pretty much no idea as to where bass will take me so more of an 'all rounder' might be better :)

Looks like I need to go shopping...... ;)