1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay International shipping

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stevethebassguy, Sep 29, 2008.

1. stevethebassguy

stevethebassguy

Feb 3, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Endorsing Artist, MonoCase, Aguilar Amplification
    If I may preach to the choir for a minute. I've been in the market for a high end J-bass, most likely I'll end up with a Sadowsky..or something, and I'd love to get an American one, but don't have the dough to buy a new one, so I've been checking out ebay quite regularly to see what's up for sale. Today I see there are not one, but several wicked deals to choose from. but I can't buy any of them.
    All of the auctions state "shipping to the lower 48 only, don't bother emailing to ask for exceptions" (ok i might be paraphrasing to cover all 3...but you get the point) but, I live in Canada. What gives?? Why won't you guys ship into Canada?? it's just a different address?? I've never been able to get a reasonable explanation from anyone actually intelligent enough to form a complete sentence so i thought I'd turn to my brothers in Bottom end... can someone shed some light?

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Customs fees and forms can be a PITA. I typically specify "lower 48s" in my auctions but if someone emails me, I have relented and shipped internationally.

3. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I'll be the first to admit, I'm not exactly an "International Seller", but I have shipped a few things out of the U.S. While it's not as difficult at people think, it does require a little extra work, which I'm sure deters some people.

Shipping a guitar to Canada is pretty easy if you ship it through the U.S. Postal Service....and the price is pretty reasonable. The most difficult thing for me has been finding a shipping box that doesn't exceed the size requirements. All you have to do is check the USPS website to find out the size limits for each country.

If I had to guess, I'm sure most people don't want to deal with the extra work.

I hope you find that Sadowsky...I just picked up a Sonic Blue UV70 and it's awesome. Good luck!

4. But the custom fee's isn't paid by the seller, that's the arriving countries customs to clear with the receiver. And the form is most often not more than a few lines to fill ime.

D.Don

5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I have shipped basses within US and out of the US. The only difference was a small form that I need to filled out, basic information: From , To, what I am shipping and value. Filling that form wont take more than one minute and you can do it online too.

No big deal for me

6. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I put that language into my auctions as well but do ship if someone emails me & I detemine it's worth the risk. Size limitations for some countries require removing the neck so that a smaller box can be used. Obviously that means a hard case is out of the question. It doesn't hurt to ask & mention the TB connection.

7. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I quit selling anywhere but the US after a HUGE problem trying to ship to Italy. That experience was so horrible I changed all my ebay selling parameters to US only. Many in the UK have complained about not being able to bid on my stuff but I was burned so badly I will never sell out of the US again. Anyone even thinking of trying to ship anything to Italy should think twice. Even if every precaution you can think of is taken you will more than likely be burned.

8. I have shipped music gear all over the world.....literally. I sold a Blowtorch to a fellow TBer in Turkey. Another one to Norway. Lots of stuff to America. The pedal to Turkey took awhile to get there but it did arrive. If you haven't shipped internationally then some people are under the impression that it is a big deal. It really isn't but I only use Canada Post. I have tried FedEX and a couple of other shipping companies but they seem to make it into a real process. Importing with FedEX ....no problem. I think some people think that shipping out of country means they have less control over the process plus more chance of something getting lost or broken. Then you may have a situation with someone who might not even speak English depending upon where they live.

Having said all that I am sure there are some countries best avoided.

9. I have been purchasing lots of stuff from the US, and only twice have I not received the goods, and both times, it was the same seller (two different auctions within 3 weeks, he (possibly) sent the stuff from the first one before I won the second one). I still don't know if he ever shipped the gods, or what wrong he did, we tripple checked the address and everything, but he had shipped right and still nothing showed up (USPS) from any of the auctions. He never hesitated full refunds, and the money went into my paypal fine, no idea what the deal was there, but stuff keep comin in here every day still, but not from him.

Had a horrible Fed-Ex experince the last months, big company in the US sent me recording gear to my business partners office (where there is a reception) in the UK (I live and work in France).
    After 2 months, I called them and asked where the gods where, and they faxed me back a Fed-Ex "delivery note" signed and everything, only thing is, the name of the signee is not the name on any person ever been working in the reception in the office building my partener rents his office in, what happend? Fed-Ex got the wrong building (address is correct on the paperwork), or someone just passed by and signed it?

Crazy, I sure hope they start asking for an ID from people who sign parcels in the future.

D.Don

10. stevethebassguy

stevethebassguy

Feb 3, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Endorsing Artist, MonoCase, Aguilar Amplification
    It's nice to hear from some reasonable people...thanks guys. I'll keep searching.

11. I have shipped to the US before with no problem at all. If they have a Sad, they might be a fellow TBer, drop them a line.

lowsound

12. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I admit I was wrong to react so strongly after the Italy experience and will start offering shipping to the UK again. Italy is the problem, they have such strange import rules I just can't deal with them.