Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eBay is evil - further evidence : Live8!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - what about all the tickets for a free concert to help rid us of poverty in Africa - being sold on eBay?

Just further evidence that eBay brings out the very worst in people and promotes greed and the basest instincts in our society. :mad:

Ticket touting was of course, always there before eBay - but it was a small number of people, who were often caught by Police - but surely even a tout wouldn't dare to try to sell tickets to a free charity event like this - they would risk huge anger and the threat of violent reprisals! :meh:

But eBay allows people to hide behind anonymity and behave in a reprehensible and amoral way, without facing up to any consequences - so apart from the shameful act itself, they are behaving in a cowardly manner that would not be possible without eBay's existence!! :meh: :meh:

A sad day for society!

2. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    reprehensible! right on bruce. the depths some people will go to just to make money disgusts me sometimes.

-jimbo

3. Bruce Lindfield

I just heard on the radio that Bob Geldolf called eBay :

"an electronic pimp"

...and many things I can't repeat here !! ;)

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ebay makes people bitter. Quick, someone add that to the list.

5. Prove it or move on.

6. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I've won two tickets, and I get back from holidays the day before it, and to get there I'll need to fly there. I'll be literally getting off one plane to get on another. If I can't do that, why should I give up the tickets to some random person? If I can get a few hundred pounds, I don't see why I shouldn't.

7. Seriously, Ebay is evil. Well, no it's not. I've got no gripes with the organization iteself. (especially when compared to some other big internet/computer companies out there) But ebay is full of losers, jerks and ripoffs as sellers, and not-so-bright people as buyers. It's really disgusting, and is more of a seller's market than retail stores. It's amazing what these guys get away with.

It's mostly not the individual sellers that give you problems, (in fact, I don't think they exist anymore) it's the mass-sellers/people who run Ebay businesses.

8. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I have to say, buyers who bid on things I want days before it ends peeves me off. But if I'm selling, I like that, so really I can't complain.

9. Parsley

Parsley

Jun 8, 2005
    That's refreshingly honest and probably reflects a lot of society (me included). But... how is it different to

"Why should we give aid to some random country? If instead we can get repayments for the next 20 years, I don't see why we shouldn't?"

which is one of the things the concert is about? :meh:

(I know, there's lots more complexity to it than that, but...)

10. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    First, let me rant a little. Some people on eBay have signed up with names like "itswrongtoselltickets" and have bid ridiculous amounts, so that the auction gets taken down. In my opinion, these people are far worse than those selling tickets. If you don't like people selling tickets, that's fine, you're entitled to an opinion. But ramming your views down other people's throats, throwing about your brand of morality is just wrong. I'll sell a ticket to Live 8 if I bloody well want to, and some ignorant tit acting like a moral crusader isn't going to stop me.

Yeah, the concert is about charity, but the tickets are free. The organisers aren't going to get money off the ticket whether I sell it or not. And let's face it, if you're prepared to spend £500 on a ticket, you're not in need of charity anyway.

11. oh cmon! - eBay brings out these people?
    If eBay wasn't around - some other website would be!
    The reason eBay is used is becuase afaik, it is the best online auctioning website.

Now - I can see why people dislike online shopping, due to scams etc - but this is *hardly* eBay's fault. It's the sick, greedy bastard who *made* this auction that is the culprit, not eBay!

:rolleyes:

furthermore, as if you didnt expect this to happen? I mean seriously - tickets can only be won if you're lucky enough. Especially with the comeback of the likes of Floyd, you really didn't expect this to happen?!

The people who are serious enough to actually bid on the tickets are just as bad as the one selling it! :spit:

12. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    Let's say you're a massive Pink Floyd fan, but you've never seen them live. You tried to get a ticket, but didn't win. Should people like that be denied the chance to see a one off gig by Pink Floyd, because someone else thinks that it's wrong to buy a ticket, and spouts off about "OMFGBBQ CHARITY!!"%$£35"?

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I strongly disagree. If not for eBay, those people would most likely use their time bettering mankind.

It's a fact... eBay makes people dishonest.

14. This space for rent.

Mike

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Right on, Bruce!! You tell 'em!

Here's another one for ya'll!

So - what about all the violence and destruction - that goes on at soccer matches!?

Just further evidence that soccer brings out the very worst in people and promotes violence and destruction in our society. :mad:

Violence and destruction was of course, always there before soccer - but it was a small number of people, who were often caught by Police - but surely even a violent, destructive person wouldn't dare to be violent and destructive outside of a soccer game - they would risk huge anger and the threat of violent reprisals! :meh:

But soccer allows people to hide behind mobs and behave in a reprehensible and amoral way, without facing up to any consequences - so apart from the shameful act itself, they are behaving in a cowardly manner that would not be possible without soccer's existence!! :meh: :meh:

A sad day for society!

:meh:

brad cook

16. Bruce Lindfield

Well nobody has addressed the main point I was making - which was that the anonymity of eBay - allows and encourages this kind of thing !!

So - if it was about people behaving badly at footballl matches - those people would have to live with the consequences ....face the dispproval of their fellow spectators and the police/stewards etc.

My point is - how many people would do this (sell tickets to a free concert aimed at ending world poverty, for personal gain) , if they had to stand in the street , outside the venue and take the almost certainly negative reaction from passers-by or other groups of people ...? :meh:

Ebay and things like it, allow these people to get away with despicable acts in relative security ... which to me, is evil - just my opinion!!

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    How much are they going for? I went to the first one and paid 35.00 each for tickets (outrageous!)

18. Hang on, why is ebay being blamed here? The people to blame are the ones who actually decide to put the tickets up for auction in the first place. They are the ones abusing the system.

19. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    About £800~. It's hard to tell what are real bids though.

Nobody's abusing any system. It's just basic demand and supply. High demand, low supply, prices are bound to be high. I don't see anything wrong in selling the tickets for money, it's my ticket, I'll do whatever I like with it, you can keep the moral high ground.

However, I'm going to go to it. Say they release the dvd:

"Have you seen the Live 8 DVD?"
    "I don't need to, I was there."

Sounds a lot better than:

"Have you seen the Live 8 DVD?"
    "Oh cool, I had tickets, but I flogged them on eBay and bought a new bass."