Ebay Juzek, likely scam

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Steven Ayres, Jun 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    I've been keeping an eye on this Ebay auction page offering a '57 Juzek for $1000 with free shipping. Seller writes that he has to sell "by this weekend" because he's moving out of state, and that all bids will be canceled because he'll only accept a buy-it-now commitment.

What he hasn't done is use the buy-it-now option on the page, so he's clearly trying to skirt the Ebay rules by doing an off-Ebay sale. It's obviously too good to be true (TG2BT, is that a thing?), but for me it also smells like a predatory con, and I want everyone here to be aware.

I've seen the page repeatedly updated for a month or more, so the "this weekend" thing is bogus. The account has good feedback, but all in German, and he listed a location in Pennsylvania. The latest version lists San Francisco. I've twice messaged the seller asking where the bass is physically, why the feedback is in German and whether his travel plans have changed. Both times he took down the page and put up a new one. LTBB (is that a thing?).

2. Scam. Been seeing that for years.

3. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    I had fun baiting the guy for a while. He wants wire payment to an Italian bank account that's supposedly an eBay escrow account. I've made a point of flagging as fraudulent every time it reposts, but eBay seems unable or unwilling to do anything about it. It appears that the guy is hijacking other user accounts, so the tons of great feedback, German or otherwise, doesn't mean anything.

Fortunately for me, a high official in the Nigerian government is going to deposit a huge sum of cash into my bank account any day now, so I'll be able to afford a nice Juzek, or any other bass that catches my eye!

Jeshua, catcauphonic, jsf729 and 2 others like this.
  4. MrMyopia

MrMyopia

Dec 1, 2016
    Little Rock AR
    Now that's the kind of baiting I like to do. I used to have quite a few trophies when I was active in the 419Eater community.

5. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    Congradgulations on your good fortune! You obviously will need a tax deduction. I am the founder and President of the Ineedabassnow Foundation. We are a non profit organization that specializes in doing club dates for wages that were paid in the 1960s. Any contribution to The Fund will be appreciated!

6. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    We'd be delighted to contribute. If you would just send all of your banking, personal, and credit card information by PM...

jsf729 likes this.
  7. As an aside, his mom thinks you're really cute.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022