Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay listing question - S/N?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pilotjones, Oct 2, 2002.

1. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Sometimes I see an Ebay listing with text like this (this example is from a current auction):
    Why would someone not give a full serial #? Is there a legitamate reason for concealing it? (I am assuming the Fender does not use x's in their s/n's.)

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Some people like to that to conceal serial #'s from people who put together guitars and basses that aren't original. Charvels and old Fenders especially

Rob

3. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I don't understand... do you mean that they don't want the # to be on public record, so that conterfeiters won't know a "legit" # to put on a fake?

Regardless, this is often done on fairly new instruments (including this one). All it looks like to me is like they don't actually have the instrument in their possession, and they just looked up the s/n of the series somewhere online.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They give you enough of the serial number to know what year the instrument is. If this were a Fender it would be a 1996 model. (N=9)

5. If I lived in the same town as the seller and had a complete description of the instrument, including photos AND serial number, I might have a chance of reporting it stolen.

6. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    So are you saying that the seller is not divulging the full serial number because he does not want anyone to file a false theft report to police or insurance?

7. I belive thats what he was trying to say. It's quite possible, too.