1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBAY matches Reverbs seller's fee on Guitars and Basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by troy mcclure, May 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    I just got a notification that Ebay is charging 3,5% on guitar and bass sales... I guess Reverb has been hurting them in that area. I know I have sold more basses on here or Reverb than Ebay in the last year to avoid the fees.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't understand what you mean. Individuals sell on eBay. Where does this percentage come into play and what does reverb have to do with it?

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I completely misinterpreted the thread title.

You obviously mean from a seller's perspective.

woodyng2 likes this.
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I was confused at first too. I edited the title to make it more clear.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Oh. So they'll take 3.5% instead of whatever they were taking before? That makes more sense.

I still want nothing to do with them. They make it too easy for buyers to pull shenanigans.

6. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Does this apply to Amps and pedals as well?

7. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I'm surprised Ebay hasn't dropped their fees for everything. I cannot imagine they have not lost more in the long run by raising rates by driving sellers to CL or Reverb or any other option.

byoung93888 likes this.
  8. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Burwabit likes this.
  9. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I don't think they are losing that much considering how much is being listed on eBay at any given time.

As far as buying gear is concerned, if it is used - in person and if it is new - from an authorized dealer. Too many fakes and counterfeits out there to risk saving 5-.

10. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    sorry, to the MOD, yes from the seller perspective... It said just guitars and basses

11. Mathilda

Mathilda Banned

Mar 31, 2017
    Fee-bay was 13%, including pay-enemy's cut.

ObsessiveArcher and byoung93888 like this.
  12. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    no worries :)

13. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

the ad at the top of the ebay page i'm on says "sell your guitars, basses, effects pedals, amps, and more and pay only 3.5% in final value fees"

no mentioning of restricting the 3.5% final value fee to only guitars and basses.

guess reverb is putting a little pressure on big, bad ebay.

14. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Same thing on my sellers page. That is why I put my EBS head on there as well as here and Reverb

15. funkymonk13

funkymonk13

Aug 22, 2014
    Any idea if that includes the PayPal fee?...since eBay owns PayPal or whatever.

Might be time to sell some stuff.

16. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    doubt it. i'm sure it's ebay fee + paypal fee as always.

but now it't 7% instead of 13.5%

davidprice likes this.
  17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I view eBay as a hostile environment against sellers. The buyer can claim anything and eBay will take their side almost certainly. That's okay if you're selling fidget spinners, but if you're selling a $2k instrument and the buyer is claiming it's a counterfeit, you want an environment where the infrastructure will protect you. I find eBay too risky to sell anything over $150.

moonbass-de and byoung93888 like this.
  18. I stopped using FeeBay when they raised their commission to 10%. That is just too much. Then you have to pay PayPal as well and it just is not worth the hassle of using FeeBay. I use Reverb and CL. I am glad that FeeBay has lowered their fees to compete with Reverb but I will stick with Reverb and CL. :meh:

19. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    @RichSnyder is right-on. Ebay is way too buyer friendly, which is funny as their revenue and ultimately profits come from seller fees. As a seller you are forced to make concessions any time a buyer makes a claim, regardless of legitimacy.

byoung93888 likes this.
  20. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    I have bought a lot off eBay and have had great results. I have never sold there, and use reverb instead. This seems to be the safest way to conduct business.

Use the right tool for the job. ;)

Herrick likes this.