1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay may cut 1,500 jobs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TheWolf, Sep 15, 2008.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You kidding? They are one of the world's largest internet businesses. Not only do they need programmers updating and maintaining the site 24/7, covering literally hundreds of thousands of pages of dynamic code, but also the nature of monitoring all the auctions and responding (in theory anyway) to every question and conflict that comes up when you have ten thousand auctions starting and ending every day, not to mention billing, accounting, etc...

But it doesn't surprise me they're hurting- the US economy has just about gutted the "spending cash" of the public here, and I have seen a resulting severe drop in movement there on Ebay. Plus they have taken a horrible approach to trying to solve their economic worries, actually driving away many sellers with their new policies; not to mention the overall culture there has for some years been shifting from a true auction site to more of a small-business advertising venue.

I used to be a fan, but today I wouldn't shed a tear if they went bankrupt.