Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay Negatives -- Share your pain

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    OK, FLAME ON.

I don't know what's up with Ebay in the last six months, but it seems like the crazies are multiplying.

On 9 February, this guy uses BIN to end an auction that I had listed for a LNIB Akai Unibass. I sent him payment reminder after payment reminder--at least five times over the course of 21 days. There's even a paypal button right there at the end of the auction so he could use a credit card!! Anyway, I finally sent him a note that I wasn't waiting anymore, that the item was no longer his, that I'd found another buyer and if his payment showed up, I'd return it to him, unopened.

Turns out three of his 27 feedback are negatives from people who say he won their auctions but never paid.

So, like five minutes later, the guy who couldn't find time in three weeks to send a check writes back saying that he's "onto my plan to keep his money and send his pedal to someone else". He's complained to FairTrade about my criminal intentions and he's ready to neg me as soon as I neg him.

This is what I HATE about Ebay. I did EVERYTHING to make this a smooth transaction--I even researched the net to send this guy the .pdf format manual for the pedal. Not only have I lost money on the auction fees, this guy can neg me just as easy as I can neg him.

ARRRRRGGGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLAME OFF. MOSTLY.

2. Report him to Ebay, and ask them to cancel any listing fees. This is the best thing you can do. You have proof that you tried your best, so do not worry too much. You could send negative feedback, but speak to Ebs first as to what they feel the best course is as he will likely just open another account anyway.

3. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I had the same problem..Guy won an auction for a LNIB Aural Exciter. Wins the auction then 2 days later says he doesn't want it because there is a scratch in one of the pics. The "scratch" turns out to be a piece of lint in the pic. I re-take the pic, send it to him, but he insists that its scratched and won't pay me. Even though the close ups are perfect!

Needless to say, I leave negative feedback, and of course, he decideds to leave negative feedback stating "SELLER MISREPRESENTS PRODUCTS.. he says NEW in box when item has wear.. JUNK!". Funny because the guy that ended up buying it said differently!

Well, he's no longer a member, probably because his feebdack was riddled with negatives and he changed his name several times before then.

Needless to say, I'm still bitter about that.

4. Ok, how about the reverse situation?

I have recently bought something last minute, and (huge Mistake) bid on it knowing that I had no time to ask about shipping/payment conditions.

After winning the auction I emailed the guy, asking for the total, and something that was 30 USD ended up as 150 USD for shipping charges... to which I flipped out. (NOT specified on auction details...)
    I asked him to cancel the bid, apologised, etc, and we decided that he could file for non sale and I would pay the sellers fees, which I agreed to do since it was my mistake... NOW... Ok, so how can I pay for this?
    I offered to pay by paypal, to which he said that he only accepts paypal from the states... ok, so I can send him an International Bank Transfer... nope. sorry, we only accept bank transfers for more than 1000 USD. why dont you send us your creditcard details? well, guys this is the reason I got paypal, I dont wanna give out my details on the internet...
    Seriously, I dont know how else to handle this, they are just being absolute assholes... and this is one of those "Megastores" with thousands of sales on ebay...

In the last email, I just quit. said that I had already tried to pay them for their trouble in everyway that I was willing to, and since they are just being pricks, they can pay for their own damn sellers fees.

Screw the neg. Why the hell would they be so damn unflexible and arrogant... jeeez.

5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Even when things go bad, I don't think anyone can fault a party who makes a genuine effort to "make it right".

It's jerks like this guy who (never intending to honor his side of the contract) create phony stories alleging it was actually the honest party's fault that burn me up. Ebay doesn't care. You can only conclude that the whole system is set up to favor buyers over sellers.

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I certainly agree that Ebay doesn't care. PayPal and Ebay buyer protection is also a ruse designed to lull buyers into thinking that they're making a secure purchase.

When I purchased an amp last summer off of Ebay, the seller misrepresented it as "absolutely mint" whereas it was scratched up and well-used plus actually required warranty repair because the fan was broken which I had to arrange with absolutely no help from the seller.

Paypal only will refund if the item doesn't show, not if it is misrepresented. Ebay charged me $20.00 for intermediary services and all I got was a couple of emails saying that the seller didn't answer any emails so they wouldn't pursue it and considered the matter "resolved". even though the seller flagrantly disobeyed Ebay rules which prohibits charging for the use of Paypal. I didn't know this so I paid it. Seller wouldn't refund the fee and Ebay wouldn't enforce their rule.

The advocacy part of the whole Paypal / Ebay deal was virtually useless in my transaction. They didn't help, they caused me a lot of wasted time seeking their assistance and in the end I took it on the chin.

Conclusion: There is no real buyer protection on Ebay either.

Buyer Beware, thoroughly research your purchase. Get specific answers to specific questions. Determine shipping cost in advance. Establish whether the seller will give you a D.O.A. guarantee.

For basses I ask specific questions on neck, finish, and electronics. If I get a description or response that says "looks great" "practically new" I step away. That guy's got something to hide.

Also, unfortunately, good feedback on past transactions may be an indicator, but is no guarantee of future behaviour.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hi, as someone who sells a lot on ebay - not for profit, for sure, I'm curious about this.
    What specific questions do you ask?
    I say that because, IME, when people ask questions about neck, finish and electronics 99 times out of 100 they are extremely vague questions. I believe in full disclosure, so I put any relevant information out there in the auction.
    i.e. "how are the electronics?", "how is the finish?","how is the neck?"
    In those cases it's hard to give anything but a vague answer in return. If someone has a specific question i.e. "are the pots crackly?" or "how heavy is the scratching on the pickguard?" then it's easier to give useful information

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I ask things like.

Neck:
    "Please describe the neck function. Does the truss-rod work properly? What percentage of fretwear is on the neck? Are the frets uneven or straight? Do any of the strings buzz when played? Are there any dead-spots? Do the tuners work smoothly and keep the bass in tune?

Body:

Are there any breaks or dents that go through the finish?

Electronics:

Do the pickups hum or are they quiet? Are there any scratchy or non-functional controls?

General:

Have you ever had the bass repaired, if so, when, and for what?

I'm sure that others could come up with some better ones than this, but I just try to get a little specific so that if there are issues with any of the things I have mentioned, then we have a basis for discussion after the item is received and inspected to see that it complies with the descriptions.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. My momgot burned (well, singed) on Half.com like that. Lady had about 200+ positive feedback overa few months, and then right after christmas, there was bunch of people (about 75, including my mother), who payed, and the lady disappeared. Fortunately, my mother got her money back because Half.com offered buyer insurance up to ...$500? Something like that, so she came out even, but previous activity means nothing especially when you can create a chain of fake IDs and leave feedback for yourself.

Which might seem overboard, creating 30 IDs and creating a feedback loop (no pun intended), but if you're thinking about making out with, say, $5000 on a fake Fedora auction...

10. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Although I agree that eBay doesn't really care or help much in a problematic situation, I have to say I've had some impressive experiences with sellers where I received something in terrible shape or otherwise misrepresented and they fully reimbursed me for the item and shipping both to me and back to them.

About the guy buying something and not paying for it, that sucks. See, they have an option when you list something to where someone can't bid if they have a negative feedback score, but even if they have 100 negs, if they have 100 positives, they can bid because their score would be 0. That stuff pisses me off. Also, it pisses me off when an ******* leaves negative feedback after you leave it for them and then he deletes his account but the negative he left you doesn't get deleted with it. I think when someone deletes their account (or ESPECIALLY when their account is suspended or deleted by eBay), all the negatives they left should go away. I have a couple negatives on my eBay account and none of them were deserved. One was from a guy who never replied to my e-mails (which asked where to send payment) and then he left me a neg for not paying him.

There are good reasons out there to leave feedback, but there are a lot of people out there leaving feedback for bogus reasons. I've left several negs in my day, but they were all legit.

I defended eBay for a really long time because I've used it a lot over the last several years (my feedback score at the moment is 90) but lately I've been burned by non-paying buyers several times, and I've kind of abandoned eBay for the most part. I still buy on there, but rarely sell unless I can't sell something on TB or another classifieds site.

Jake

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My experiences (about 150) have all been great except for one CD that buyer claimed was lost in the mail...he was probably telling the truth but oh well...it was just a 5 dollar CD.

brad cook

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Here's a related issue. When writing a neg (in over 250 transactions I've left maybe 2) I've agonized how to craft the perfect winning case in a sentence or less, usually dealing with the facts of the transaction.

I recently read a negative that read "Showered with Dad as a teen. Has mommy-touched-me issues".

I have to confess that with this guy, I was tempted to borrow that and just go for something so unbelievably over-the-top, it would be a win, despite the inevitable return volley.

13. demento

demento

Mar 5, 2003
    Adrian, MI
    Some idiot gave me their old house address when I shipped a graphics card. Then left me negative feedback because they were the one that F'ed up.

All I can say is: Make sure your address is right

14. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'm pretty much done with ebay. I still use it once in a while but I've had so many bad experiences lately that I'll only deal with an auction if they'll allow me to return the item if something is wrong. "Great condition" is subjective term, after all. One of the worst experiences I had dealt with totally good merchandise though.

I bought a PA amp off of there a year and a half ago from someone who was selling it "new in box". The price was right and the market was flooded so I won the auction easily. I paid the guy that day and didn't hear from him in over a week, when after repeated emails I finally heard from his wife. She said he was at some music merchants show and would be back soon. When he got back that weekend, I talked to him over email where he indigantly told me that he's actually a QSC reseller and that he was just waiting for my amp to be shipped to him, and that I needn't flip out about it. I was pretty angry at this, because one assumes that the seller actually has the merchandise. By the time I got it it had been a good two and a half weeks since I'd won the auction.

I left him neutral feedback because despite the awful communication and misrepresentation, the item was actually new and I paid a few hundred less for it than if I'd bought it locally. The next morning, I got email from ebay telling me that the guy had requested my contact information and sure enough, he called me at work later that day to chew me out. He told me he was going to lose thousands over my neutral feedback and that I had some nerve leaving it. I couldn't believe this guy.

And I'm not even going to get into the ridiculousness that occurred when I bought my Flea 5. Anyone looking to buy a four string Bartolini MMC pickup? :)

15. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Had the same thing happen to me. Got a real deal on a new bass and fired the money off as soon as I "bought it now".

Didn't hear anything back from the seller for a few days, so I emailed him back, FINALLY after 3 emails and a week after I bought it he replies that he had been super busy in school and hadn't been able to respond. He said he would send it out in the next few days...

A week later I hadn't heard anything and I asked him (It took all of my self control to be nice in my emails) if he had had a chance to send it out... No response.

One of the various emails from Ebay and paypal had his address so I sent a last email saying that a plane trip to CO (where he lived) would cost less then my bass purchase. In 5 minutes I got an email saying he'd been really busy and the bass was in the mail- and the next day I got it (I thanked my lucky stars). The bass was in excelent condition- everything was just as promised except it took 4 weeks to get it... I think I am done with Ebay, at least with expensive orders. Had plenty of great transactions but I kinda felt that I dodged the bullet on my last one.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Twice I've gotten negative feedbacks, both as a buyer:

1) Bought an ebook for the perfect Tele... what I got was 8 pages of assembly tips taken directly from USCG and Warmoth. The auction also promised discounts to build the perfect Tele clone. --> 15% off at USCG who isn't authorized to cut a Tele headstock. I emailed the seller and asked for a refund (because the eBook was made with free software, wasn't even printable, and offered a discount to a place where I couldn't possibly make the perfect Tele clone) Went back and forth, I left him a negative for misrepresenting the discount and refusing to back his product. RETALITORY NEGATIVE saying "HORRIBLE eBayer looking for freebies! Very rude and insulting when turned away!"

2) Bought a cell phone clip from a seller. Recieved email saying it would go out the next day. Then he disappears for three weeks, every email I get is returned with an autoresponder saying his Dad died, he'd ship in two weeks. Two weeks went by, another email, another autoresponder. Emailed him daily for another two weeks, warned him I was complaining to Paypal, and he sent me the item after the complaint. I left him negative feedback for taking something like 45 days to ship, wouldn't give refund after the fact that I'd asked for every day for a week. RETALITORY FEEDBACK saying "I EMAIL THIS LOW LIFE THAT MY DAD PAST AWAY. GOT NEGATIVE HARASSING FEEDBACK." which he copied and pasted to everyone who gave him a negative.

Item #1 was $7.99 total, Item #2 Was $9.99 total. Bought and sold thousands, and the two cheapies were the stinkers.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It's really hit or miss. The main problem is that any high-volume sellers on Ebay can act like complete jerks and Ebay doesn't seem to give a rat's patootie.

And the whole possibility of retaliatory negative feedback makes the whole feedback system pretty broken, really.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Just reading this thread you can see the problem ...

So my experience of all the internet (not just eBay) is that it's flooded with annoying kids - who are using school accounts or their parent's - and are really bored, so are pushing the boundaries of what they can do! Look how naughty I've been....:rolleyes:

So - why should eBay be any different? The tone of some of the stuff in this thread is pure "naughty schoolboy" ..

My view is that I would never enter into a business transaction on a system that really has no "checks and balances" that hold water and is getting more and more overrun by kids - so it was obviously designed to work on the basis of a kind of "gentleman's agreement" between parties....but what happens when a large number of the users don't want to play...:meh:

19. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I'm not sure if I'm missing what you mean by "kids" Bruce, but I believe there are plenty of asshats on ebay, irrespective of age. I think every age demographic is holding their own with ebay pains.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There are a bunch of kids on ebay. And I'll admit, at age 17, I shouldn't be using ebay. Started off as my mom's account, and over time slowly became all my feedback, and I'd like to think of myself as one of the good people on the bay.

However, I have experienced plenty of kids there. A kid put a bunch of Ibanez K7's on ebay for $699 + Shipping BIN. Stole the pictures, and five people BIN'ed them, only to find out it was a kid and his get rich quick scheme. Completely ruined his dad's perfect feedback, his dad appologized to everyone in an email, returned all the money, and made his son handwrite appology letters. The same kid did the same thing with Marshall Halfstacks and GK combos.