Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay Nerves

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ozbass, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Ok, I won an auction on a bass a couple of weeks ago.
    I paid thru paypal last week.
    The bass is in another country....and communication is awkward due to the language barrier.
    I had a brief telephone conversation with the guy a few days ago by telephone... I think he said that he had sent the Bass and would email me a tracking number. Several days on, and still no tracking number. I've sent several further emails in his language, and tried to telephone,and sms all to no avail...no replies.
    Surely a brief email or sms to confirm its on its way isn't too much trouble.

I'm now starting to get a little twitchy due to the lack of communication. The seller has a 100% feedback but also low in number.

Any thoughts

From a Stressed Oz :(

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
  3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Check with Paypal. They have specific conditions that should be met for you to be covered. ie: if address are unverified.

When in doubt, you can always go to your credit card company. You would need to dispute the charge on your card at 60 days I think.

4. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    on the other end i am selling 3 basses on ebay right now and keep getting requests to sell to europe and china. im skeptical. one it costs me to use paypal, both for the transaction of which they usually take about 3% and then also they charge to change currencies. i asked someone who did it and it cost him $40 just from paypal. then im unsure on shipping. i dont want to go through the hassle of taking the bass down to the post office just to find out how much it will cost to ship, then ok the shipping with someone. i know i can kind of guestimate it online but i dont have scale and im kind of sketched out by that. just seems easier to deal with the US

5. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I sold a bass through ebay to a person in Germany once. It was a major hassle and the shipping on both ends was a major pain. From now on, it's inside the U.S. only. :rollno:

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I was in this predicament once and it all turned out ok. I bought a bass from someone who went travelling for two weeksl. Needless to say, every gloomy thought imaginable crossed my mind but it all worked out and I got my bass.
    I would email Ebay with your concerns. They may have different contact details. I would also email the people he has previously bought/sold to (if those items are still listed in the feedback). That should give you more of an idea of who you are dealing with. You mentioned he doesn't speak English. What language are we talking about here anyway?

7. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hi
    Italian.........
    I'll try to email the dealers he's dealt with previously.
    Thanks