1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay Non-Horror Story

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaddAnthony_59, Mar 10, 2008.

1. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Hey TBers,

I actually have an Ebay story that has a Happy Ending!

I have a 95 Made in USA Fender P-Bass. It is White/Rosewood, and has a black Pick Guard & Pickup. I thought a Tortoise shell pick guard would look nice, so I found one on Ebay that claimed to be a Direct Replacement, Fender Licensed, Easy-Day, No-Hassle Tort PG. I ordered it, and it was shipped Quick, and packed well. But it was NOT a direct replacement! The control knobs were off, the neck pocket was off, and it even had an extra Screw Hole, so needless to say the screw holes didn't line up! (4 did at first actually...)

Well, Being Hard Headed, and sick of the Black pick guard, I take the Bastard Tortoise into my Laboratory, and generously massaged the pick guard on my Router, opening the neck pocket, and oblonging the control holes. I set the guard in place, and it looked GREAT! 7 screws now lined up, which is what is holding it in place now. A little over half...:meh:

So, then there's the matter of Feedback. I'm not big on Negative feedback, especially when I'm SURE the seller, rh9159, would've undoubtedly given me a refund. But I didn't REALLY think he warranted Positive feedback either. So I sent him an E-mail describing the ordeal, and told him I would be sure to tell all of my friends at TB.com about this.

He QUICKLY replied that I was the 2nd person to have made this discovery with the Tortoise pick guards, and that he was getting a shipment of REAL Direct Replacement, Fender Licensed, Easy-Day, No-Hassle Tort PG's in soon, and that he would be sending me one, and I could just keep the "Customized" one, and that he was extremely sorry about the ordeal. (Actually It was kinda FUN customizing the wrong one:D ) So, I thought it only FITTING to tell Y'all about that as well!

So, IF you are on Ebay, and looking for stuff to dress your Basses up, check out Ricky, Ebay ID of rh9159, or visit his Ebay Seller Store, Discount Guitar Outlet. He stands behind his products, and will do what it takes to make things right! Quite unusual for Ebay these days...:bassist:
    Tony - Ebay ID Anthenium

2. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Nice to hear a good story for a change. I try to make it a habit if for instance if I am in a store or restaurant and get exceptional service to tell the manager. I say the server, or clerk or sales guy did this and this and really made me want to do business here. Don't know if it ever helps, but I have gotten some surprised looks and told that it's nice to hear positive input for a change.

3. Always good to hear the positive!!!!:D

4. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Nice to hear a nice ebay story for a change. Normally the seller doesnt really give 2 s**ts what they send you cause you have already paid, I blew £100 on a snowboard coat which was a large and I ordered small. a belt same story. And my Zoom B2.1u pedal didnt come with the power cable or PC cabel like they said it would and gave me the excuse "you was under the impression that came with it??" and after I replyed "yes" they sent me "you was under the impression that the pedal came with the leads?"
    nice standard responce I thought.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Nice to hear a stroy about Ebay that doesn't feature someone getting ripped off!

6. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    A bit off topic: My experience is that finding a direct replacement for a guard, P or J, is VERY hard... I fact, I do not think such a thing exists. :meh:
    Too many screw holes that can go wrong.

Let's hope you're lucky with guard #2.

7. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    Funny, I have had far more good luck than bad on eBay. I have bought several basses and lots of bass related gear and only one time out of more than 50 have I been burned. Of course I will only buy from 100% positive feedback Sellers with at least 25 transactions under their belt, so that may better my odds.

8. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Yeah, me too! I've got over 300 transactions on eBay, and have only had a couple bad experiences. You just have to be very careful about who you buy from, and who you sell to (although that can be tougher to control).

9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Yeah, its nice to hear a good ebay story. I have had several really bad experiances on ebay. I bought a SCSI harddrive once that the seller shipped in a kleenex box (I'm not kidding) wrapped in two layers of toilet paper. When I took it out of the "box," I could heard pieces of it rattling around inside the drive. Needless to say, it was destroyed. I fought with the very rude idiot seller for weeks, and he finally agreed to give me a partial refund. Recently, I purchased a Peavey T-40 neck to restore an old T-40 I've had forever, from a seller with hundreds of positive feedback (although I noticed later he had quite a few mutual withdrawals). The auction described the neck as in good condition with plenty of fret left. When I received the neck it was immediatly obvious that some amateur tech had tried to level the frets. The frets from about the 7th fret down to the nut are nearly level with the fretboard, and the frets above the 7th fret get progressivly higher. Also several frets are actually loose and the ends can be pushed up and down. I contacted the seller and told him about the problems right away. The seller said the neck was great and he had been using it (for what I can only imagine) and threatened retaliatory feedback if I left him bad feedback. After several emails back and forth (his getting progressivly more rude and hostile), he finally agreed to refund $20.00 if I first left him positive feedback. I told him I'd take the $20.00 and forget this, but said that we should both skip the feedback. Several weeks went buy and he never sent a refund check so I left him negative feedback, and sure enough he left the same for me. I hate ebay, and will never buy anything from there again. High positive feedback means nothing for a seller, because most people skip giving negative feedback for fear of retaliatory feedback, or agree to mutually withdraw feedback after the seller leaves retaliatory feedback.

10. I gave Ricky a little 'thanks' from me for being generous and honest. Its great to hear of eBay sellers that do the right thing when things go awry... Thus its something should always be encouraged for the "next guy" and so on.. kool.

11. I have never had a bad experience with Ebay. That being said I only have made 10 or so transactions on there. I expect to get screwed one day, but for now I am searching out a motorcycle.

lowsound

12. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Good to hear that he handled the error well. I think that is the mark of a good seller. Mistakes happen, it is how well the seller handles it. I have sold motorcycle parts and had a few glitches. As the seller I am up front and honest and work to resolve the issue.

From a buyer side I have had pretty good luck lately with bass purchases. Sometimes you have to trust a gut feeling that something is off about a deal. I usually ask many questions. If the seller gets pissed I know that is someone not to deal with.

13. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Glad to hear it. I've had mostly good bass experience on eBay, other items are more likely to be problematic.

14. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Oh, Yeah. I've got a 550+ feedback rating, I've bought more than 10 cars, 100 Basses & Guitars, amps, car parts, etc...and I've been burned 3 times, totaling maybe $200.00. By & large Ebay ROCKS!!! I've been approached by the typical Nigerian Scam of I'll send you a Cashiers check with $2000 extra, and just Wire Transfer this to me once you deposit the funds routine. ( I have a collection of checks I've yet to deposit:p ) But Crappy After the $ale service is becoming typical. But when I find a Seller who will Bite the Bullet to correct his mistake, I'll give him Public Accolades!!:bassist:

Ricky Rocks!
    MaddAnthony_59 endorses this $eller:
    Ebay ID = rh9159,
    Ebay Seller Store, Discount Guitar Outlet.

15. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    +1 on it being hard. But direct replacements do exist.

I've had great luck with Ray's Custom Shop for bass parts. Quickest shipper I know, same day most of the time (4/5) and his parts are no-nonsense. He even supplies a trace of the guard that you can print out to make sure it lines up.

16. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    Good that the OP did get the right pickguard at last. Kudos to the seller for correcting the deal.
    But if he said that the first one was a REAL replacement too and now are saying that he are recieving a batch of REAl replacements, doesn't it say that he knew the first one wasn't real? Seems more to me that he tried to scame you but when he find out that you could use TB against him, he decided to correct himself.

17. Holmann

Holmann

Dec 23, 2005
    Ashland, WI
    Guards are a tough thing to sell- I stock a bunch, in p-bass land I've got a half dozen different screw hole patterns ('62 reissue, '50s, 11 hole, "standard", etc). In my experience most buyers don't know what they need. However, a seller just listing a "replacement p-bass guard" shows a lack of knowledge in his product. If he's shipping you another guard without asking some detailed questions about your bass, don't count on the new one fitting either.