1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay now charges taxes on used items

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mamoru, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Mamoru

Mamoru

Jan 23, 2019
    I just found out this weekend that ebay now charges the buyer taxes if they reside in certain states. In Washington it's called a facilitator tax.

So even though the State of Washington did absolutely nothing, I was charged just about 10% on the item I purchased from an individual seller. Not only did Washington State tax me on the item, they also taxed me on the shipping cost I had to pay.

I'm done with Ebay. No more for me.

Just thought I'd post this in case others are not frequent Ebay users, either. For WA this state tax went into effect on Jan 2019.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Sounds like a State decision.

Not sure abandoning eBay is going to alleviate your situation any.

lat, SLO Surfer, Lammchop93 and 10 others like this.
  3. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    That's not ebay, that's local governments biting where able. ;)

4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Ebay, Amazon, et al have fought tooth and nail to avoid being forced to collect sales taxes on Internet sales. They hate it because it's another expense for them and it alienates both buyers and sellers. Naturally the states target the biggest fish first too.

Tommy V, The Ryantist and Justinian like this.
  5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I'm not an accountant, but AFAIK, the consumer is liable for sales tax on items purchased from out of state. Here in WI there's a place on your state income tax form for sales tax on out-of-state purchases. Either you pay it yourself or retailers collect it for you, but it's the same money either way.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yeah, How DARE the states make them play according to the same rules as others, and pay their fair share...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  7. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    I'm in Oregon which has no sales tax. I buy stuff online all the time and have never been charged sales tax by any other state (that I'm aware of, and I pay attention).

Justinian, JMacBass65 and 9c1ny like this.
  8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Yep, I'm in WA and I noticed this a few weeks ago. I'm bummed, but honestly not too riled about it because I never understood why online purchasing tax was exempt in the first place. It was nice while it lasted.

However, my feathers ARE a bit ruffled over having to pay tax on the shipping :eyebrow: THAT I was not aware of until a few posts up ^ Boo-hiss regarding THAT :mad:

9. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    monsterthompson likes this.
  10. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I knew that, and it's awesome. At least WA residents don't have to pay a state income tax every year, for that I'm grateful, but most people would probably save more doing away with the sales tax than the state income tax. I think the Seattle city taxes hurt more wallets than just about anywhere else :bawl:

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I am bit bummed that when I eventually sell my huge amp collection I will need to pay taxes on the proceeds as if it's all pure income. But it reality I will likely be taking a fairly significant net loss. It stings even more when you pay taxes on both sides of the transaction.

12. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Oregon gets the money other ways. Property taxes are insanely high. I'd gladly trade a reduction in our income and property taxes for a sales tax, but I doubt it will ever happen. We can't even legalize self-service gas unless you're in a place like Boring.

catcauphonic and monsterthompson like this.
  13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I’m ok with it as long as it’s not on used stuff.

14. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Taxes on Shipping? :) Here in Canada we frequently pay taxes on taxes...

15. Yeah, my state (VA) tax collection went into effect on July 1st. I spent all of June ordering from NewEgg for my new PC build.

16. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I Iive in Illinois where we have a 6% sales tax on every transaction. Regardless of whether the buyer is inside or outside Illinois, the Illinois seller pays the tax.

Furthermore, Illinois requires sales tax for transactions where the buyer is in Illinois and the seller is out of state. Technically, the seller is expected to collect the tax and then send it to Illinois, but if they fail to, then the buyer seems to be legally on the hook.

Several other states have the same rules, which means any sale conducted between the two states is taxed twice.

I expect to see most states adopt similar tax laws in the near future.

tekhedd likes this.
  17. Yep. It's the law that you're supposed to track your online purchases and pay the state when you file for your returns in the spring. So many people ignored that part of the law that states are starting to clamp down on it.

monsterthompson likes this.
  18. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    Let's not forget that in general, you get taxed numerous times on any money you have already:
    You get taxed when you earn it: income tax
    You get taxed when you spend it: sales tax
    You get taxed when you pass it on in a will: estate tax

Basically, every time your money moves from one entity to another, you pay. It's enough to make someone want to dump some tea in Boston Harbor.

19. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Does anyone have any idea what the approximate percentage of earnings ended up being remitted in taxes in that era?

20. Here in California we have the worst taxes in the nation. That's why we've been experiencing a middle class exodus to other states for years now.