1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay now charges taxes on used items

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mamoru, Jul 7, 2019.

1. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    It doesn't matter what you can buy in San Francisco, that doesn't justify paying me less to do the exact same job with the exact same educational requirements. Our company made that argument during our last contract negotiation and failed to convince anyone of that. Turns out you get quite a few volunteers to move to the high cost coasts if they're going to pay you more to do it. I have to agree with @Nephilymbass. I've also lived in quite a few different states and economic areas and IME the cost of living thing only works out if you're willing to drive and live in at least what I consider subpar housing. Not to mention the lack of promotion opportunities being out of the main loops in most national companies.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  2. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    Your last purchase was probably before the 1st of the year. I'm not certain but I think that was when the South Dakota vs. Wayfair ruling was fully implemented.

3. JCW308

JCW308

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    Look up "Wayfair" and "Nexus"....the days of "I'm from out of state so you can't charge me tax" and LONG gone.

4. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    We have personal property taxes in MO as well. It's a sneaky way to claim you are a low tax state while still getting the money you actually need to run the state. I'd rather just pay the higher sales or property tax.

Flog likes this.
  5. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    No. As I said it was about six weeks ago.

Apologies, since I just realized that I had only "six" in my previous post, not weeks, months, years...

I've never heard about any of this, but am honestly amazed that most other states haven't jumped on that bandwagon.

6. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    I don't see the problem here. When you sell something used to a guitar shop like GC... they have taxes et they put taxes on the item when they sell it back.

Maybe we will see more new stuff instead of used for now on on Ebay.

Maybe the used market will change drasticly in the forseeable future !

Nephilymbass likes this.
  7. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    This has nothing to do with eBay and everything to do with the seller's state. Sellers were supposed to collect tax and were not doing it, now the states will get their revenue. I'm in NY, and after July 1st, eBay not only collects the tax (which they had been doing at my request) but now they also pay the tax to the state. Prior to 7/1, the tax was paid in by me. Saves me plenty of messing around as a seller. Nobody likes taxes, but they are a fact of life. As online sales increased local sales tax revenue was lost, so it was inevitable that something would change.

hbarcat likes this.
  8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Some years ago, the State of Illinois got fed up with people buying used cars from private sellers and then lying about the purchase price when they got them titled.

People would pay $5,000 for a car and then claim they only paid $1,000 to save themselves over $200 is sales tax.

So now, they go by a tax table that assumes the street value of certain vehicles and the State then tells you what the tax will be.

blue4, mikewalker and wmhill like this.
  9. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    It's typically based on the state it is shipping to. So if you in Oregon sell me an item and ship it to me in Texas, I am expected to pay Texas sales tax as I am considered to have bought in Texas where I took delivery. If you buy it from me, no sales tax because Oregon does not charge sales tax.

10. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    i am done with ebay as well. on everything i have order'd on ebay about 50% have actually turned up its has held up projects ive aways had my money back but it is shocking that i have only had half of what i have order'd :banghead:

ajkula66 and mikewalker like this.
  11. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    Okay that eliminates most musicians in Texas.

12. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
  13. JCW308

JCW308

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    PS: It has absolutely NOTHING to do with eBay.

14. Flog

Flog a Viking in Tejas Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Denton, Tx.
    When I was 16 I bought my first car, a nice Oldsmobile hot rod. As soon as I got home my dad took me over to the tax office, kind of a "let me show you how this works son".
    The clerk asked how much I paid and my dad leaned down to the hole in the plexiglass and answered calmly "$200". ...
    I almost gagged!

15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yeah, nothing like telling the truth...

16. Flog

Flog a Viking in Tejas Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Denton, Tx.
    ^ Do you submit and pay taxes on EVERYTHING you buy used (Ebay, Reverb, Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, garage sale, lawnmower from a neighbor..)?
    didn't think so.

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    1. I pay all appropriate sales and all appropriate use tax.
    2. Lying about it to a government official is worse.

18. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I will comfort you US Bass Brothers, for it may not so bad as it seems:
    (and I already converted the Euro into USD)

In the Netherlands we pay 7.50 USD for a gallon of gas (you pay about 3.10 USD per gallon AFAIK)
    We pay 21% sales tax.
    We pay 38.1% income tax up to an annual salary of 76.700 USD
    Above the 76.700 USD we pay 51.75%

On the other hand though, we have loads and loads of cheese.

Fight4Bottom and ajkula66 like this.
  19. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You have better beer, too

Fight4Bottom and ajkula66 like this.
  20. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I guess that could be true, however, no one beats the Belgians with beer.
    IMHO they have the best beer, chocolate and fries (not the french fries, but the original pommes frites).

Mmm, this is an "off topic" I don't mind too much...

charlie monroe likes this.