1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay now charges taxes on used items

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mamoru, Jul 7, 2019.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Indeed, cost of living doesn't fully explain wage disparities between states. The states with higher wages and higher housing costs just happen to be wealthier states overall, with more successful economies. And there are pockets of higher and lower wages even within a given region, with similar dynamics. If you want to live and work in the Midwest, it's good to live near a public university, and barring that, near a hospital.

Higher wages tend to be justified by the threat that you'll lose your employees if you pay lower wages. And this relationship is more effective in more dense labor markets with better labor laws. For instance, "tech" workers in silicon valley can easily hop from one job to another, often just walking across the street, and are protected by laws that forbid things like non-compete agreements.

blue4 likes this.
  2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I just snagged something on ebay and got hit with tax. I'm in New York. I've never heard of this before...obviously in it in effect, but it would be nice if I saw that in the price before I agreed to and paid for the item. The tax charge was a 2nd transaction that automatically happened. From what I see from google New York is getting taxed as of June 1st :(

3. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    I just received a notice from Reverb that they're starting to do the same thing. They're calling it a "Marketplace Facilitator" tax.

It was a nice run, but as the old saying goes: nothing is certain but death and taxes.

rollie 55 likes this.
  4. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    Hmmm. I just purchased used Harley mufflers for 111.95 on EBAY and that is what I got charged. No taxes. I'm in California and purchased from back East. Is this only for certain states? You'd think California would be first in line for something like this.

5. Mamoru

Mamoru

Jan 23, 2019
    According to ebay, CA will begin to tax 1 Oct 19.

I guess you have to expect to pay taxes on everything purchased on the internet, be it new or used.

Datsgor and cosmicevan like this.
  6. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

May 16, 2019
    We have the cheese in Vermont where I grew up and the taxes, are not quite there yet

7. I can't wait for Washington to expect me to pay a parking tax to park my taxed vehicle on my taxed property.

Next it will be the air tax, how much of it did you breathe last year?

8. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    We have 24% Value Added Tax in Greece. Almost all consumer products and services we buy, they cost 24% more. This is the "indirect taxation concept" which is the same for all, no matter if you are an unemployed or a magnate. Then there is the direct taxation, 22% for up to 20k income, 29% up to 30k, 37% up to 40k, 45% for 40k and more.
    Then there is also another direct taxation ranging from 2.2 - 9% for incomes 12k - 65K. Additionally we are paying a minimum 15% of the total annual rent we receive in case we own a property that we rent. For few consecutively years back we were also asked to pay part of next year's tax in advance. But at least we have feta cheese...

ajkula66 likes this.
  9. John6

John6

Jul 9, 2019
    Central Ohio
    They don't have to deal with it, the seller does and it is a PITA here in Ohio to have to file every month because 1 person bids on all of my items and wins at least 1 99 cent item each month and I have to send the state of Ohio 7 cents for the 1 person. I have had good months where I had to send in $17 dollars but I am just selling stuff I use to throw away. I paid taxes on it when I bought it so I view it as a double tax.