1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ebay pickguard... has anyone actually seen one of these?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lee H, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I have been thinking about one of these pickguards on a bass I am putting together

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

The guy who makes them said that he can make a thicker one, that does not require the black base piece. The paint that will be going on the bass is House of Kolor, Kandy Tangerine, with a little added orange pearl mixed in(paint left over from a custom motorcycle I did last year)
    So has anyone actually seen one of these, in person? The bass is smooth enough that a pickguard is not necessary, but I like the idea of it being a unique look

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Why not paint the pickguard bottom plate with the same color than on the bass - and do you actually need the back plate in the first place?

3. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    the maker said that the back plate is not necessary, unless the routing is not clean and tight... so I don't want it.
    I think it would look better with the orange body showing through

4. Hi.

Those look very cool, and very reasonably priced IMHO if the claims are met.

OTOH, unless 2+ mm thick, it won't look good without the back piece unless it's glued to the body.
    It has to be glued to the back piece as well, but that should go without saying.

As a someone who had something like that (not as well made though) in an instrument back in the day, I can say it's a PITA to keep clean.

Regards
    Sam

5. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I have spoken to the maker, via email. He said that he would make one double thickness, for use without the backing plate, for the same price
    I had not considered keeping it clean. (Stupid oversight on my part). Thanks for the heads up on that

6. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    OK, I did it...I talked to the guy again, and he is making a thicker top piece for me, and no bottom plate. It was about $100 by the time it was all paid for, covering shipping and customs taxes, but it will be worth it if quality of craftsmanship is good