Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay - Pre-CBS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jenderfazz, May 13, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am no Fender expert. But the Precisions from 1958(or '59) through the mid sixties were only available with rosewood boards IIRC. And I am almost 100% positive that natural/maple was not available until the early 70's. And the headstock logo certainly looks early 70's.

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's not PreCBS. It's not an L series serial number, and I think ALL but MAYBE a very few transition models in 65-66 were L series. Regardless, there's no way it's a '61. Also, that's an Ash body. I could be wrong, but I didn't think they had those until the 70's. Looks like an early-mid 70's to me. Either the guy's an idiot, or a crook.

3. Ash was mostly used in the 1950s, and again after 1972 or so. The finish is natural - that didn't exist in the 60s, only blonde (which did have ash... but it's much yellower).

4. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I'm gonna' have to recant...

Also found this same info on another site. Never mind me, I'm an idiot. It's late. Time to sleep. *sigh*

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Even if the number was right, there's no way it's anything but a 70's bass. The logo, finish, body wood, all wrong.

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Jenderfazz, you got it right in your first post - 74,75 or even 76. As you said, the serial number points to that period, but there are other obvious points as well. That headstock logo started in the 60s and went to around 1976. The machineheads date from early 70s to around 77 (you can tell from the shape of the base plate, plus the fact that the Fender has the "registered" mark next to it). It's a bit more difficult to tell from the photos, but the bridge looks to be from this period as well (it's the saddles that give it away). Maple fingerboards were phased out by 1961 (they stopped around 1958) - this was the period of the "slab board" rosewood board. Maple was then reintroduced in the early 70s. And like everyone else has said, it just looks like a 70s Fender Precision! I'm quite sure the seller has received countless emails informing him of this by now, so why he's left the listing as, I don't know!

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    What about the price is it a little bit tempting even if it is a 70's p bass?

8. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

That's a very good point. It's actually a really nice example of a mid 70s Precision (assuming the neck and electronics are okay), and, although it would never fetch the kind of dollars that a '61 would get, it would still attract a lot of attention (and dollars) for the great condition it's in, if only the seller had identified it correctly.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Mid-70's.
    finish,pickguard, neck, all 70's.
    Looks to be 1974-1978?

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Ok, so my initial post was pretty close, but for all the wrong (incorrect) facts. Do I get at least half credit? :)

The bad part is, I know about the logos and headstock stuff, just forgot about that. Got hung up in the serial number.

I wonder where that plate came from? A '61 that got trashed and parted out, and maybe during some repair in the past got used on this one due to its being damaged somehow (tho I can't imagine how). Very curious.

11. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I actually played that bass two weeks ago while visiting my girlfriend at college, it was NICE man. Big deep and powerful sound, the frets were in decent shape, the neck felt great. the only issue is a dark spot in the wood beneath the finish on the top of the body. It needs new strings but would probably be an awesome bass for whoever bought it. It's a nice bass guys, if I had the 2k they were asking for it I'd have knocked them down a bit and bought it.

Oh yeah, the "story" on it was that some guy had it in his closet for a long time and hadn't played it in a while and traded it in for a buttload of PA and amp stuff... who knows.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That's great. I don't think anyone here is disputing the playability of the bass. I think the problem here is that it's no way near a 61. We can all see that at a quick glance. I find it difficult to believe a music store that took this on trade would be so off on things.

13. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Oh no question, I knew from the second he opened the case it wasn't a 61... but I didn't care, it played and sounded better than any other P-bass I've played save a 71 I played at GC last fall.

14. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Mate, I've got some more bad news for you - your mathematical skills are a bit off today as well! If it's a 5 digit number starting with a 5, then it's 60 or 61. However, the serial number on this bass is a 6 digit number starting with 5!! :D

Don't worry - I have days like this as well! ;)

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    For cryin' out loud. I knew I shoulda shut up after the first post. (bows head in shame)... never sacrifice sleep for TB posts... :)

16. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    edit, its been relisted starting at 355 item number 7322943576