Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay problems

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sane, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Ok well I recently sold my Grind on ebay, well the auction ended on a Thursday... I couldn't ship it on Friday or Saturday bein that I had to work, and live 50 miles from the nearest UPS store. I have class on Mondays and my University happens to be next to lots of UPS stores. Seems to me my logical choice would be to mail it on Monday. I let him know of this and he told me it was fine just send him the tracking number. Well as everyone knows, we are about to get pounded yet again by a huge hurricane... No one can be out on the roads on Monday, thus no bass shipped. I emailed him explaining this was beyond my control that I was sorry but I would have it on its way as soon as power comes back up. Heres my email I recieve.

"i understand it out of your contol, but you plenty of time to ship it before the storm. if it is all the same to you i would almost rather have my money back, and i can not leav much positivefeed back when you handle this transaction in such a way, after i promptly send you my money. If i dont have a bass or $220.00 back in my bank acount with in a week you can be sure i will take action! i am very unhappy about this and you know you would be too if it was done to you!"

He has a 1 ebay rating ... shoulda known a little better... heres my question, did I do something wrong? Does he have a grounds for taking action so to speak? I emailed him back saying when I could have the bass off ... if not I'll return the money ... thus loosing 20 bucks in the process after all the fees ...

2. I'm with you on this, the buyer should be a tad more accomodating. And you've done your part, you've emailed him promptly, what more could he ask for?

I've had to wait up to a week before stuff was shipped. Certainly I wanted it sooner, but the seller was in regular communication with me so to me that wasn't an issue.

Unfortunately, anybody can leave negative feedback about somebody else, so he may leave you with a negative feedback even though you've done nothing wrong. You can respond to his negative feedback, though that doesn't help much. Certainly you will leave negative feedback on HIM if he chooses to leave negative feedback on you!!

Also, the buyer may try to stiff you once he gets the bass, if he's acting like a jerk now, he may claim the bass is damaged when he gets it.

Though it will cost you the $20 listing fee, I'd email the guy back and say if he wants his money back, so be it, but since in your opinion this is completely out of your control, he should not leave feedback on you. Just tell the guy you'll cancel the transaction, give him the money back, and walk away...

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I agree. Things will only get worse from here if you continue to deal with this guy.

-Mike

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Agreed. Get out. What a jerk. You did everything that a good seller should do: be honest with the buyer and always keep the lines of communication open. It's just too bad that this guy isn't patient at all. And after you just being honest he STILL wants to leave negative feedback?

Did you give the guy a possible day as to when it could be shipped? Also did you explain to him that work was the reason you couldn't ship Friday or Saturday? Not really defending the guy but maybe he thinks that if you didn't ship on those two days it was because you were slacking.

It's guys like that that make me only want to do business with people here. I think it was Tombowlus..but I couldn't ship his Warwick to him for about 4 days after he paid for it (didn't include the weekend) because of a car issue and he was perfectly understanding about it.

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I agree with this.

Some folks on eBay suck. This guy obviously really has no clue how the game works. You'll be out $20, but better that than a protracted battle with an idiot.

6. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Well I took everyones advice and refunded the money... Now im getting constant emails saying he didnt get the money. Even though I have the Reciept from paypal. Im answering every email aking him to please ask Paypal about the problem.

"i am still missing $220.00, im not trying to be a jerk, but i am not going to let this go! Can you call your bank to see if maybe the huricane could have some how affected the transfer of the money? i will not stop untill i get my money back, and you would do the same."

Strange thing is ... I never took the money out of my paypal account so it never made it to my bank. Looks like I was in for the long haul no matter what I did.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Sounds like not only is he impatient, he's just in it to either rip you off, or be a PIA. I assume you sent him the paypal receipt? How long ago did you do it? Hopefully he doesn't leave negative feedback. They don't give you enough room to respond to the feedback and explain the situation to defend yourself.

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    that sucks man! I hope you can disentangle yourself from this thoughtless jerk as quickly as possible. Doesn't this guy look at the news?

Marshall

9. Since you have a receipt from Paypal, if he persists in claiming he never got the money, I'd email the guy and use a little bit stronger language. Polite, but strong. Tell him you believe you are abusing the situation and since you have a receipt, you will be contacting Paypal to inform them that you believe he may be attempting to perpetrate a fraud. Remind him that Paypal can and will terminate his account, if he persists in his attempt to defraud you. Also mention that Ebay can terminate his account as well. Might as well mention that you will forward this information to your credit card company and local law enforcement as well.

Now we all realize Paypal and Ebay doesn't do a whole heckuva lot to go after dimwits like this guy, but perhaps he doesn't know this.

On the other hand, credit card companies will sometimes get tough on fraudulent claims, so that's not a meaningless threat there.

The key though is being polite and well-mannered in your response. The "iron fist in a velvet glove" philosophy. This way you look like a responsible seller who knows how to deal with these situations, and that helps a lot in a dispute like this.