Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay project- I just can't help it

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by mandocaster, Apr 6, 2005.

1. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    So I bought a real fixer-upper on ebay last night.

Hoyer bow

It wasn't made by any of the good Hoyers, Otto or Mattias.

It needs at least $120 worth of work - new ivory on tip, new slide, recamber (most likely), rehair. And something will need to be done about the red paint.

My wife thinks I am nuts. She's probably right.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    was this the one with the red paint ? If so i saw that but ran away !

Oh now i see it is the same. Goos luck. you've got quite a project on your hands. Let us know please how it turns out !

3. ClassicalDB

ClassicalDB Guest

Apr 9, 2005
    Beverly Hills
    Oh man you gotta tell me how that plays when you have it all fixed up. You never know, you might've bagged a winner here. If you fix it up well enough you never know, it might just play like a $5k bow and nobody would've ever known it.

4. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    It arrived in the mail.

Boy... is it ugly.

I will take it by Jim Scoggan's shop this week.

At this point I am thinking that after paying $50 for the bow, and putting $100 into repair - I will have a bow worth about $75.

I will let you know if Jim thinks it is a diamond in the rough.

5. ClassicalDB

ClassicalDB Guest

Apr 9, 2005
    Beverly Hills
    The one thing I've found out is to never judge a book by its cover. You never know, it may make your bass sound like its a vintage $125k relic.

6. Tree

Tree

Apr 14, 2005
    so have you heard back yet about the bow? just wondering what did you need to get fixed? (hair, tip....) i had a look at it, as DZ said, Good luck!
    seeya Tay

7. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I haven't gotten it over to Jim Scoggan's shop yet. Right now, it is best described as "butt ugly".

8. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Well its been a couple of months...how did it go?

9. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I took it by James' shop. The bow is made of oak (bad, really bad) but... it has a nice frog on it that James says is worth 60-70 dollars. I'll probably trade it for a string.