Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, May 13, 2005.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I sold a guitar on Ebay this week, even though I said I would ship to americas only the guy who won the auction is in sweden. Fisrt he wanted me to send him the guitar in sweden for the same price!!
    I said no way.
    Then he said he might have a US shipping address. I said cool, but now he want a receip of only 325 (sold the guitar 700) for custom purpose...
    Anyway, I'm not sure about this transaction, he only have 3 Ebay feedback. He might be OK I'm just not sure.
    What should I look for?
    If he send me a money order and I check it, will I be protected?

Thank you

2. no no no

nice to meet you - run for your life!

scam

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    That is a serious can of worms. If you specifically said on the auction page that you won't ship overseas, then you have the right to call of the sale and relist.

I've sold a few things to people in the UK in the last month or so, and the customs can be brutal. Still, those shoppers were totally cool with taking responsibility for the customs payments.

There are restrictions for shipping items to other countries. for the most accurate information, you should contact that countries embassy, or make the buyer do it. BE VERY CAREFUL on money orders and cashier's checks...a lot of scams have been run where people have generated counterfeit checks which will be returned and you'll be stuck with the bill.

This buyer could be legitimate, but do your research. Check with Ebay customer service ("Sellers Tools" from your "My Ebay" page). Ask them the same questions. Let your buyer know that you're researching the options, and if he really wants the bass, he'll be understanding. Since you haven't taken his money, he should be cool.

Good luck!

EDIT: This guy probably is a scammer, but as a semi-frequent Ebayer, I know that your rating makes a big difference. I'm suggesting covering your bases (basses, ha!) by checking with Ebay cust. service, so that it doesn't come back at you.

4. That guy is a definite scammer. Report him, get a relist, and next time set the auction so that people outside of the US can't even bid.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Run.

Don't walk.

Even if he's not scamming, I wouldn't want to mess with it. What happens when he emails you and tells you that it didn't show up...etc...

6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Too sketchy - It's not worth the risk. Run Away!

Marshall

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    If I relist the guitar, will I have to pay for the ebay fee anyway?
    The selling fee?

8. You should be able to get a listing refund on the first one. Check out the sellers' FAQ's

9. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Might ? Either he does or doesn't
    "You can't always get what you want" (Jaggar/Richards)
    There is no customs duty between Canada and U.S. (thanks to the Free-Trade agreement) . There can be sales tax. I can appreciate him wanting to minimize tax but if you do that, you're commiting fraud.
    I inisist on Paypal for stuff I sell on Ebay. If you take a money order, ask your bank if the issuer can rescind it.

There are too many suspicious things about this buyer.

10. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    There is a "second chance option" where you can make an offer to the second highest bidder.

There is also a releist option. I'm not sure what the cost is but that's irrelevant. You are much further ahead by walking away from a shady transaction and relisting than by taking risks with shady characters.

11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

If I take paypal will I be more protected?
    I know paypal has some kind of insurance...
    I might do it that way. It would be a well worth 30$.